Alone No More

Ronan weaved, missing one of Darion's men's right uppercut.

     'Ronan...The key, it's...repaired itself.' MEDA broke his concentration.

     'What?' A left hook connected with Ronan's jaw.

     'The mirror activating the book must have done it.' MEDA had Ronan's full attention. Unbeknown to his foe who was about to land another punch.

     "Do you mind? I'm having a conversation here." With a right cross, Ronan's confused adversary fell to the ground.

     'Could it still work, if we take it back now?' Ronan wasn't ready to give up.

     'Ronan, the book can only be activated once.'

     'By the mirror, yes. But this is it's key.'  Ronan sounded so hopeful.

     'I don't know. We'll have to get the book back from Gloria first. What about SSFC?'

     'We'll return before they even know we're missing. Take me to her, MEDA.'

     'Don't get your hopes up.'

     'I have to try.'

     Ronan arrived at the apartment, only to find Arraya gone.

     The front door was left open,  furniture knocked out of the way as if someone had left in a hurry. The study was completely ransacked, everything thrown onto the floor.

     Devastated he looked on. 

     What have I done?

     I should never have left her.

     If they've hurt her, I'll never forgive myself.

     'MEDA can you track Arraya down?'

    'What's taking you so long?' Ronan asked impatiently.

     'That's strange.... She's back at SSFC.'

     'But that's impossible. Maybe you're malfunctioning.'

     'I never malfunction.' MEDA sounded indignant. 'I've checked it twice and the reading's still the same.'

     'Whereabouts at SSFC?'

     '...With the GALSYR.' MEDA said quietly.

     'Then take me to her.'

     MEDA translocated them to Floor 42.

     They were in an empty waiting room.

     'Ronan you may not like what you see.'

     'I don't care. I have to know.'

     'The prime GALSYR has said you can enter, if you return the book.'

     As Ronan apprehensively walked through the door marked  "GALSYR Laboratory", after placing the book on the nearest table, the floor below him started moving, as though on a floating escalator, through a series of heated testing chambers. Each one filled with strange lab equipment harnessing exotic and rare plants in different stages, and a bed.

     The warmth and the smell of earth reminded him of his induction with MEDA.

     "Why do you seek her?" A deep harmonious voice echoed in his head.

     "To ensure she has come to no harm." Ronan replied.

     "Why do you seek her?" The voice repeated.

     "To bring her home." Ronan tried again to answer the question.

     "But why, do you seek her?" The voice pushed.

     What do they want from him

     ".... Because, I love her."

     Immediately he was transported to Arraya's side. He was shocked to see her like this.

     She was sitting on a bed,  supported on both sides by two large overhanging plants, which were also connected to tubes being fed into the back of her neck and spine. She was heavily sedated by all appearances and didn't look like she was in any pain.

     "What are you doing to her?" he spoke in a deadly whisper.

     "We're saving her life."

     His face paled.

     "The same as we did yours." 

     He blinked and he was back in the waiting room.

     Could it be true?

     That once empty void inside him, came alive, flooded with needs and feelings, too boisterous to ignore.

     Ronan tenderly smiled. He would be alone no more!