Best Breakfast Ever

Looking around, she was back in her bedroom.

     What if it had all been a dream?

     Her heart sank at the thought of never seeing Ronan, again. The alarm clock read 6:45 am. The early light was streaming through the window.

     She removed the doona cover to find she was still dressed in the same clothes Gloria had given her. Her elation rose, only to fall again when she remembered what Carlos had suggested. Her eyes watered.

     To never experience the love of her life's touch. The tears flowed onto her pillow.

     After a quick shower and change of clothing into her favourite jeans, T-shirt, blue jumper and Converse high boots, she felt reluctant to tackle breakfast but knew the movement would take her mind off him.

     Arraya was just cooking eggs and bacon in the kitchen, when her body started tingling with excitement. She just knew he was here.

     Slowly turning around, her stomach flipped.

     He was all she'd ever dreamed and more.

     She didn't remember feeling so flushed, a minute ago.

     Dressed in a well-fitted, navy-blue suit, emphasising the blue of his eyes, his wavy brown hair curling just over his shoulders. She was lost when she saw his beautiful cheeky smile. Her own mirroring it. Ronan was here. In her kitchen. With her.

     Her eyes widened.

     Alone.

     "Smells delicious. Is there enough for two?"

     The bacon! Quickly she turned back to the stove. Lucky they weren't burnt. She was thankful she hadn't started cooking the eggs.

     "Yes... Of course. Would you like hash browns as well?"

     "How could I say no to that?" Ronan perched on one of the kitchen stools, watching her.

     "I've got your favourite Earl Grey Tea. Two sugars, right?"

     "I could easily get used to this." He smiled.

     Arraya set about getting the breakfast ready. Her nervous hands almost dropped the eggs. She felt ecstatic and anxious at the same time.

     Ronan was in her kitchen. For Real. And she was cooking him breakfast.

     "How are you feeling, this morning?" How could he sound so calm when her heart was beating so fast?

     "Fine."

     "I told Gloria what Carlos said," Ronan said quietly.

     Arraya paused briefly, before continuing  to set the table and check on the eggs. Not wanting Ronan to see the tears swelling up in her eyes. "What did she say?"

     "She's relieved that it's so simple. She wants you to start writing the end as soon as possible. She wants me to oversee that you have everything you need."

      By this time, Arraya was just holding onto the bench top. The tears running freely now. How she hated Gloria at that moment.

     All pretence at cooking was over.

     She felt Ronan's hand on her arm. She looked up at him. Her dignity lost. Showing how vulnerable she felt.

     He pulled her into his arms.

     "Oh, Angel." He kissed the top of her head. He was shaking just as much as she was. 

     They didn't talk. 

     He just held her. 

     Their bodies locked in an embrace of true friendship. No demands, just support. Letting her see that she could count on him to be there until the end.

     The oven alarm beeped several times before Arraya looked up, not wanting to leave the comfort of his arms.

     "Breakfast is calling." She gave a watery smile.

     "I suppose we can't ignore it then, can we?" His look said differently, but she knew.

     It wouldn't be fair to him, or to herself. She also had obligations to SSFC. Through no fault of her own, she had to finish what she'd started.

     No matter what the cost.

     Peeking at Ronan as he collected the plates for her, she imagined for a brief second what it would be like for them to be married. To wake up to him every day. But common sense overruled, and she let the fairy-tale come to an end as she went to collect the over-cooked eggs, burnt bacon, hot hash browns and very strong tea.

     It was the best breakfast ever. She got to share it with Ronan.