Chapter XVI

Family Drama

August 14th, 1986

Aspen followed Oliver inside of the house after walking to the store down the street in order to get another milk and frosting for Oscar.

"Mum! Dad! We are back!" Oliver yelled out as Aspen closed the door and followed Oliver into the kitchen.

"In the kitchen Oliver, we didn't move." A voice called out and Aspen recognized it as her stepmother's voice, Abigail Wood.

After spending two week with the Weasley's her Uncle sent her to her father's house for another weekend.

Aspen didn't mind as she loved spending time with her father and brother but she just had this feeling in her stomach that her stepmother did not like her at all.

As Aspen stepped into the kitchen she helped Oliver place the bags on the table before turning to her father.

"The walk wasn't long?"

"No, it was just down the street," Aspen said and Oscar nodded as he smiled.

"The cake is almost done. Do you want to help me frost it?" He asked and before Aspen could say anything Abigail cleared her throat.

"Oscar darling, Oliver always helps you frost the wonderful cakes you make."

"Only because you force me to. I will gladly hand over frosting duty to my big sis over here!" Oliver quickly said as he pulled a chair out and sat down.

"It's perfectly alright. I don't want to mess anything up. Plus I am a better cook than a baker." Aspen said and Oscar chuckled softly.

"I'm rubbish at cooking. Your mum was the one who taught me how to bake, this was her favorite cake. It's the only one I've never messed up." Oscar rambled and Aspen smiled.

"Thank you, I only ever get information about my mum from you. It still hurts my Uncle to speak of her." Aspen explained and both Oliver and Oscar caught as Abigail rolled her eyes.

"Perfect Roxanne Malfoy, do you ever wonder girl why your Uncle won't speak of her?"

"MUM!"

"Abigail! That is enough!" Oscar said as Abigail stood up and placed her cup in the sink.

"Oscar no, this girl is a constant reminder I will always be your second choice," Abigail said and Aspen glared at her stepmother.

"Oscar loves you if he did not then after he found out my mother was killed he would have never married you and I would not have a brother," Aspen said and she tried her hardest not to flinch.

"You know nothing Aspen. You look just like her. Just like Roxanne down to the little smirk she always made after she came back from spending the night with Oscar." Abigail hissed and Aspen quickly stood up.

"My mother did nothing to you. According to my aunt, she never spoke to you."

"She walked by like I did not exist! I worked so hard to try to at least be near her level! The only thing I did that she could not is I married Oscar Wood."

"My mother will always be a better woman than you. Even in death, she is more humble than you." Aspen said cooly before she turned and walked out of the kitchen and towards the room she stays at when she comes.

"Aspen! Aspen!" She heard Oliver call out as she got to her room and began packing her things. She heard her door open and Oliver stepped in.

"Where are you going?"

"Home, back to my Uncle house. Oliver, your mother doesn't like me and I am not staying in a place where I am not welcomed." Aspen said as she picked up her sneakers from the ground and threw them in the bag.

After turning to the desk and pulling her letters back she faced Oliver who had tears welling up.

"I just found out I have a sister. And now she is leaving."

"I will never leave you, Oliver. Never, but I refuse to stay in this home when Abigail does not like me."

"Dad loves you!"

"Oliver, if Oscar loved me, he would be up here with you trying to convince me to stay and to ignore those evil words. Instead, he is downstairs with her." She responded as she closed her bag and zipped it up.

Aspen grabbed her wand and her bag before walking over to the fireplace.

"I will see you September 1st on the Hogwarts Express. If you have nowhere to sit you may sit with Bill and me, okay?" Aspen asked and Oliver nodded. Aspen pressed a kiss to her brother's forehead before turning to the fireplace.

Grabbing a handful of floo powder she stepped inside. Quickly throwing the powder down she yelled out "Malfoy Manor!" and let the green flames consume her.

Opening her eyes she was in her Uncle's study who raised an eyebrow when she saw her.

"I thought I was getting you in four days."

"Abigail began ranting about mum so I snapped and left. Oliver didn't want me to." Aspen explained as she dropped her bag. As soon as it hit the floor in vanished probably going to her room.

"And what about Oscar? Did he say anything?"

"No, he stood downstairs with her as Oliver chased me back to my room," Aspen whispered as she sat down across from her Uncle.

"Narcissa took Draco to go visit her mother and father. Do you want to go to your room or stay here with me?" He asked and Aspen smiled.

"Can I watch you work for a little while?"

"Of course, just do not breathe down my neck and if you fall asleep you are staying there." He said and Aspen giggled at her Uncle.

"Of course Uncle Lucius."