Chapter XXXVII

Trying to Find the Truth

January 10th, 1987

Aspen sat beside her aunt in the yellow sitting room looking at her Uncle's face after she told him what has happened the past month. How her mother was truly alive.

"Why did you not write to us as soon as it happened?" Narcissa asked as she turned to face her niece, whos eyes refused to leave the fireplace.

"How do I formalet my mother is alive and has been hiding for so long? How do I tell my father figure his sister is alive and we have been told nothing but lies?" Aspen whispered and Lucius flinched.

He stared at Aspen for a moment before kneeling in front of her and smiling softly.

"You should have told me. Who was with you when you saw Roxanne?"

"Marie and Nymphadora. Nymphadora tried to drag me away while Marie started screaming at her." Aspen said as she looked at her Uncle.

"What did Roxanne do? How was she?"

"She was scared. No she was terrified. She kept looking over her shoulder like someone was going to come out and grab her."

Narcissa stared at her husband for a moment before sighing softly as she stood up.

"I am going to check on Draco very quickly. See if that fever is still bothering him." She said as she made her way up the stairs. Aspen watched her Aunt go up the stairs before turning to her Uncle.

"Why would she do this? Why would she fake her death and hide for so many years?" She cried out and Lucius quickly wrapped his arms around Aspen and held her close.

To others, Lucius was just Aspen's Uncle and guardian. But to Lucius, Aspen was his daughter, no matter what people said and how they reacted. He has cared for her since he was just a young boy not truly knowing what to do.

"I need to know what she said when you saw her. Please."

Aspen pulled away from her Uncle and sighed softly.

"I kept asking her why and she told me she had so much to tell me. But she was scared. She told Marie there were worst things than you-Know-Who on the dark side. Someone she feared more." Aspen said and Lucius shook his head.

They heard footsteps and the pair looked to see Narcissa coming in carrying a tray with teacups and a tea kettle.

"Draco is fine. I made your favorite tea Aspen. I need to calm down, it is almost as if I hear your heartbeat from here." Narcissa said and Aspen smiled at her aunt as she placed the tray down before sitting beside her niece.

"What else did you say?"

"I asked if Oscar knew. She was shocked to know that I truly knew the truth. The look on her face was a mix of shocked and scared." Aspen said as she lifted her teacup up to her lips and sipped softly.

Narcissa and Lucius looked at each for a moment and had a sort of agreement. That if Roxanne Malfoy was alive and in hiding for nearly seventeen years, she had lied to the both of them.

"Why are you two looking at one another like that?" Aspen asked and before the couple could say anything the doorbell rang through the house.

"Who the hell is that?" Narcissa hissed before she stood up and began to make her way towards the front door. Lucius and Aspen stared at each other for a moment before they stood up and quickly raced after the matriarch of the Malfoy family.

When the trio got to the door the stopped and stared at it.

"Do you have your wand?" Narcissa asked but she did not direct the question to either Aspen or Lucius. Aspen's hand flew to her side where her wand was hosted. Lucius grabbed his wand from his pocket as well.

Narcissa relaxed her shoulder before she reached out her hand and swung the door opened. Standing there was none other than Roxanne Malfoy.

"Roxy

"Roxy." Lucius said as Narcissa stepped back and protectively stood in front of her niece.

"Lucius. My, you are starting to look more and more like father." Roxanne said and Lucius stared at his sister before his eyes went to his niece. Aspen stood there staring at the ground as her hand clutched her Aunt's arms.

"I do not know whether to smack you across your face or hug you."

Roxanne tilted her head before looking at Narcissa.

"Naricissa Black. Are you going to invite me in or be rude?"

"It is Narcissa Malfoy, Roxanne. I married your brother nearly fifteen years ago and bore him his heir. But I might as well invite you in. It's cold and I already have one child sick." Narcissa said before she turned and ushered Aspen deeping into the hallway.

Roxanne stepped inside before she looked around the home she grew up in and couldn't stand the sight of it then. Now she knew it as the house her only child was raised in.

"Before we even step foot deeper into this home. Why? Why did you run? Why did you hide for so long?" Lucius asked and Roxanne stared at her brother.

"We all know I married Alexander when I was very early on pregnant. Father knew I was pregnant but did not know by who exactly. My ticket out of this hell was Alexander." Roxanne began as she shrugged her hood off and untied her cloak.

"When I married Alexander, The Carrow enemies became my enemies. The war was beginning and Alexander was all for You-Know-Who and killing innocent muggles. I was not. I wanted to stay and protect my child."

"But you made an enemy of Abigail Wood." Aspen said as she stared at her mother.

"That girl was a thorn in my side. Abigail before marrying Oscar was Abigail Avery. One of the Carrows enemies. Making her mine when my engagement was announced at fifteen years old."

"Was she the evil you told Marie Rosier about?" Narcissa hissed and Roxanne sighed.

"One of them. It is a very long story. But I promise I will explain it."

"Start with the day you died." Aspen said and Roxanne looked at her daughter. Looked at her twin and saw the hurt in her face.

"Aspen."

"No, you need to start with the day you died. The day I lost my mother."