Chapter XXIV

The Truth

January 30th, 1986

"Now who can tell me why the Vanishing spell is so important?" Professor McGonagall asked as she stood up from her desk.

Marie Rosier's hand shot into the air and Professor McGonagall smiled at her before looking over the rest of her class.

"Anyone beside Ms. Rosier knows the answer?" She asked and Aspen sighed before she lifted her hand.

"Ms. Malfoy? Why is the Vanishing spell so important?"

"It is one of the most complicated spells. It becomes even more complicated with animals. For instance, a mouse not so hard but a kitten is the hardest." She stated and Professor McGonagall nodded.

"Exactly! Take five points for Gryffindor. Now as we are all back from break please copy down these notes." McGonagall began as she pointed her hand to the boards and notes appeared on all three.

"Then tonight for homework read the chapter about the vanishing spell and I want a three paragraph essay on why we need it. And no Mr. Diggory it cannot be just three sentences separated." McGonagall said and Aspen giggled before taking her notebook out and a quill and began writing her notes.

Writing the notes took up all the period and once the bell rang Aspen, Marie and Bill packed up their things and walked out of the room before going to make their way to Charms.

"Aspen! Aspen wait!" A voice called out and Aspen turned around to see her brother Oliver make his way towards her.

"Hello, Oliver! Had a good term break?" Aspen asked as she hugged her brother.

"Yes, but I found this letter in my mum's office and I thought you would want to see it," Oliver said and Aspen raised an eyebrow at her brother as she took the letter.

"From your mum's office? What does it have to do with me?" Aspen asked as Marie and Bill stepped closer.

"Because Aspen. My mum wrote to Aurors the night your mum was killed. She was the one who told the Aurors, that death eater was at your home." Oliver explained with a whimper in his voice.

Aspen's eyes widen and turned to Bill.

"Oliver, this your mum we are talking about." Bill tried to say as the bell rang once again.

"I know. But Aspen you are my sister. And no matter what you will always be my sister." He said before he turned and walked away. Aspen started after her brother before Marie grabbed her arm.

"Leave him, Aspen. He has been nervous since we all returned and this is why." Marie said and Aspen turned to her friend before looking down at the letter in her hand.

"My Uncle said no one knew who reported my mum. My step-father had already been hauled away to Azkaban so there was not any death eaters at my old home." She whispered before she slipped her bag onto her shoulder and opened the letter.

To the Auror Department,

I write this letter as a concerned wife. It has come to my knowledge that there has been Death Eater activity going on at the Carrow Manor where Roxanne Malfoy lives at.

How do I know this? My husband was friends with Roxanne Malfoy and even though her husband has been dragged away to Azkaban she continues to finish his and the Dark Lord's work.

Sincerely,

Abigail Wood.

Aspen's eyes filled up with tears before looking at Bill and Marie.

"Abigail lied and is the reason why my mother is dead." She whispered before she fell to the floor and began sobbing. Bill quickly bent down and scooped Aspen into his arms.

A door opened and the trio heard footsteps and looked to see Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape coming out of the teacher's lounge.

"Now what is going on here?" McGonagall asked which in turn Aspen handed her the letter. Both Snape and McGonagall read over the letter and looked at each other.

"Merlin. Abigail Wood had Roxanne killed." McGonagall said and Aspen let out another sob.

"My father. Oscar. He never knew. He even told me when the news was annouced in the Daily Prophet he became depressed." Aspen whispered as she clung onto Bill.

"Mr. Weasley, please take Ms. Malfoy to the Hospital Wing so Madam Pomfrey can calm her down," Snape ordered but Aspen held her hand out.

"Give me my letter." She said and Snape stared at her.

"I beg your pardon?"

"My father doesn't know what his wife did. But he will know." Aspen said as Professor Snape handed her the letter back. She turned to Marie and stared at her best friend.

"You know my father's address. But this letter in a new envelope and have Sir Knight take it to him. Please?" She asked and Marie nodded.

"To the hospital wing Ms. Malfoy," McGonagall said and Aspen wiped her eyes as she allowed Bill to led her to the hospital wing. Once they stepped inside Madam Pomfrey broke her apart from Bill and laid her on the bed.

"Stay please," Aspen whispered as she saw Bill go to walk out.

Bill turned back to her and smiled at her.

"You need to relax Aspen. Learning this secret that has been hidden for years. As well as dealing with O.W.Ls and being a prefect. I need you to relax." Bill begged and Aspen stared at her boyfriend for a moment before nodding.

"Bring me some lunch? Hospital Wing food always tastes bland." Aspen said with a soft smile and Bill grinned before nodding.

"You got it. I'll bring back the notes as well for you."

"You're the best boyfriend a girl can ask for."

"I know, I know. You can make it up for me later."