To Do

Chapter 18

MARRON 

"Trey." May himig ng pagsaway sa tono ni Nanay. "Don't rush Marron."

"Ang dami ko nang nasayang na oras, 'Nay. I don't have to think about this because since I was twelve, I know that it is Marron that I want to grow old with. I was young but I am so sure. And up until today, that's the decision that I know I'll never regret. My life is for Marron. This life to love and cherish her. I won't marry anyone but her. 

Alam ko na nagkamali ako noon. I took her for granted. Masyado akong naging kampante na ako ang mahal n'ya at hindi n'ya ako iiwan. I sacrificed her to be the man that my family needed. I sacrificed us for the businesses and the entire family legacy. Kaya wala po akong ginawa nang magmahal s'ya ng iba. I know that she still loves me, but I didn't do anything because I know that everything's my fault. Wala akong ginawa dahil alam ko na nasaktan ko s'ya. I promised myself that if she fell in love with another man and that love could make her happy, I'll stay away. 

When Marron introduced Frigate as her boyfriend, I set her free. I tried finding another woman for me. But I failed. Hindi ko kayang magmahal ng ibang babae tulad ng pagmamahal ko sa kanya. When I broke up with Lisanna, I realized that Marron might just settling for what's there for her. Baka hindi s'ya masaya talaga kay Frigate. Baka ako pa din ang mahal n'ya. Baka kahit nasaktan ko s'ya, kaya n'ya pa din akong mahalin at kaya n'ya pa na bigyang pa kami ng isa pang pagkakataon. Baka ako pa din ang makakapagpasaya sa kanya. 

I made myself the man who can give the world to her. I right everything in my life. Inayos ko ang buhay ko para maging lalaki na wala na s'yang mahihiling pa. I could give her every luxury in this world. I could offer her anything her heart desires. And most of all, I could give her my time, attention and affection. I made myself the man who could love her the way she deserves to be loved, and more. 

When I finally fix things in my life to be the man I want her to have, I tried to get her back. I talked to her. We made love. But in the end, she still decided to be with another man. And it broke me. Nasabi ko na wala na. Hindi na talaga. I was too late. 

Gusto ko po na pilitin si Marron. Make her realized that she is meant for me. But the sadness in her eyes made me realized, that insisting on her is only hurting her more. Kaya hinayaan ko na lang. If she wants to be happy with me, she'll choose me. Nang hindi ko s'ya pinipilit. 

I settled on the comforting idea that when Frigate massed up, I'll take the opportunity. Kahit maliit na pagkakamali lang, I'll make it enough reason for Marron to not to feel in-debt of that doctor. I'll make it enough for her to choose me. 

At ngayon na po ang hinihintay ko na pagkakataon. This is my chance to impose that I could love her better."

Trey was looking straight to my soul while saying those words. And it made my heart swell. 

Tama si Nanay na hindi ko dapat madaliin. But why do I feel... free? Bakit parang hinihintay ko lang din ito. Bakit para akong nakalaya?

Kalayaan mula kay Frigate. 

"Trey, ni hindi sila nag-break. Nag-walk out lang si Frigate." Ate Casey said.

"He can't stay for Marron. And that's enough reason not to choose him." Kuya Skipper butted in. 

"Trey once left Marron for his family too!" Ate Casey fired back.

"It's a different thing. All was shoved into Trey's mouth. He didn't decide for that. Iyon ang kinailangan n'yang gawin noon." Kuya insisted. 

"Ito din ang kinailangang gawin ni Frigate! His sister needs him. His family needs him! You're being unfair. We should let Marron hear Frigate's side on this."