Chapter 1

Chapter 1

●●●

It was a hot summer day. Admittedly too hot. Yoongi was spending his summer break at his parents' house. Not that he was doing much aside from eating tons of watermelons to regulate his body temperature and hugging his fan.

Maybe it would have been a better idea to stay in Seoul where he could have visited some public pool or at least gone to a café where they had proper air conditioning. But no, he had to visit his parents for his mother's birthday.

Groaning he scrambled to his feet, already missing the cold stone floor, before grabbing his empty water bottle to refill it. Staggering overdramatically, as if anyone could see him, he opened the door that led from the small shed his parents always made him sleep in and started walking over to his parents' house. He was welcomed by the soft sound of cicadas. Another reminder of it being a hot summer for sure.

He didn't get far though. When he was about halfway through the garden, he picked up soft whimpering coming from the shed. Confused about where exactly the sound was coming from he followed it. From what he could tell the source had to be somewhere right next to the back of the shed. A couple more steps and Yoongi spotted what had made the soft distressed sounds. A tiny pup was completely tangled in one of those nets his father used to cover some of the plants during winter periods before postponing tidying them away long enough that it was winter again.

To the small dog's suffering it seemed. Careful not to slip on the dry earth Yoongi stepped down into the dip, the dog now finally noticing him and yipping in panic. While making some soothing noises in hope of calming the dog down, Yoongi reached out and lifted the dog and the net he was covered in out of the hole.

"Shhh it's okay." He muttered reassuringly, but the dog started whimpering even louder and thrashing around in his hands. "Careful, I don't want to drop you."

Of course the dog didn't listen, making even more panicking noises, trying to bite Yoongi's arm. Yoongi managed to avoid his small bite, but ended up almost letting go of him when the dog scratched his arm. His claws were a lot sharper than expected.

"Shit. That hurts!" He yelled angrily, shaking the dog lightly. The dog gave some confused noises at the sudden lack of orientation and Yoongi couldn't help but feel like the eyes that were staring at him, scared, looked a bit too human.

Yoongi put the dog back onto the floor, not wanting to risk another scratch wound. The one he'd received a couple of seconds earlier was a lot deeper than it should have been. There was a small stream of blood, flowing down his arm.

"Bad dog." Yoongi scolded, even though he was well aware that the dog wouldn't understand him anyways. The dog whimpered once again, trying to slip out of the net, but he just tangled himself even further. If he was to do this for another hour Yoongi was pretty sure it would strangle itself at some point.

Sighing he sat down in front of the dog. "I swear, if you scratch me again, I'll drown you."

This time the dog almost looked like it understood. It yipped a couple of times but it
stopped moving entirely, looking at Yoongi with big, scared, nervous eyes. When Yoongi reached out for the net, the dog flinched, whimpering and hiding its head in its paws. Yoongi sighed. Wild dogs were a rare thing around here, but judging from the pup's behavior he hadn't seen many people before. Either that or he was really shy.

Careful not to get scratched again Yoongi took the small creature's paw and pulled the net away from where it was clinging to its claws. After that he moved to the next paw and did the same thing. The dog made small scared sounds from the depths of his chest every couple of seconds, but didn't move again. Asserting dominance with dogs really seemed to work.