Chapter Nineteen: Ciaran

The pack house was attacked. It happened not long after we left for the west border and engaged with the enemy's advance. The haunting howls from the east border faintly reached our position but I instantly knew what it's for.

We walked right into a trap.

I tried to send some of the warriors back to the pack house but the fight we were lured into was devised to keep us away. We had to stay and dispose of the enemies within our range before we could run back to help the others.

After we felled the enemies on the border we made our way back at full speed. No one dared to voice their fears but all of us were thinking the same thing, desperately hoping we're not too late. It had been a couple of hours since we left, long grueling hours where anything could've happened.

I felt my gut clench at the thought of Ruari. I took all the warriors with me save for Bran. I didn't think they'd divide their forces and launch two separate attacks. I should have though. If I haven't been too distracted I would have foreseen this possibility and even If I couldn't prevent it, I could have prepared better.

If something happens to Ruari...

I howled to signal the others to move faster and pounded my paws harder on forest floor. I pushed myself to the limits not caring if the wolves following me were wounded or needed time to catch their breaths. I have only one thought in my mind. To get back to Ruari!

The stench of blood was thick within the forest and near the training grounds. There were no disturbances or movements within the woods aside from the guards patrolling the area. Once I reached the tree line, I phased and snatched the pair of jeans Lorcan handed me before I scrambled towards the pack house shouting Ruari's name.

I slammed the front door open and quickly scanned the tired and wary faces in the common room. Wounded people were everywhere receiving treatment from the pack doctors. The fighting had been near the compound and most of the members left to protect the house had been severely wounded.

Bile rose in my throat and I could feel a sliver of fear creeping up my spine. People died tonight. It's a miracle the enemies who snuck from the east border didn't reach the house with the level of security it was left with. My hands started to shake violently, I had to clench and unclench my fists a couple of times as I search for the familiar face of my mate.

"Ruari!"  I yelled when I couldn't find him or sense him anywhere in the room. I stood frozen by the doorway and felt like I'm going to loose my mind if I don't see him soon.

Why isn't he here? Where the fuck is he?

"He's on one of the back rooms alpha," Bran said.

My brain processed the information and my body finally deigned to move in order to seek him out. For a few seconds I was operating in autopilot. I just need to see him, to know he's safe.

But Bran stepped in my way and Keiron didn't take kindly to the action.

"Insolent pup!" He growled as he pushed me aside, grabbing Bran's neck and easily lifting him off his feet. "Tell me why I should let you live!"

"There's something you should know alpha," Bran wheezed.

Keiron snarled but withdrew the hand from Bran's neck. The younger man dropped on the floor holding his bruised neck, gasping for air.

"Tell me," I commanded.

Bran didn't waste time and proceeded to tell me everything that happened, from the moment they heard of the attack until the part when Ruari executed the prisoner they brought back for questioning.