Chapter Twenty-Nine: Ciaran

I woke up to a half-empty bed.

I can't believe it...

I sat up and stared at the tangled sheets where Ruari slept. I could still smell his scent mixed with the night air but I couldn't sense his presence anywhere near me.

The cabin was still and empty, devoid of him.

I tried to link my mind with his. Now that we've marked each other I should be able to channel my thoughts to his through the mating bond but there was nothing but silence.

He's not there. I couldn't feel him...

I rushed out of the cabin. My head darting from one end of the clearing to the other, my eyes quickly scanning the surrounding forest. Hoping for a glimpse, for any sign of him.

I touched the mark on my neck and felt it pulse beneath my fingers.

It was real. It wasn't a dream. Ruari was here.

But where is he now? When did he go? Why did he leave?

Will you cut it out? Keiron clawed irritably at my insides. Relax and try to sense him properly. You won't be able to link your thoughts with his if you're so damned disoriented. There's no point in panicking idiot!

I wanted to curse him for being unsympathetic but lashing out at Keiron wouldn't solve anything and it sure as hell wouldn't get me anywhere. Arguing with him wouldn't help me find Ruari.  

I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes to summon calm and patience.

Keiron is right. There's no point in panicking. Ruari said we'd talk. He wouldn't just leave without telling me, not without a reason.

I focused all my senses on the beating of my heart, on the pulse that throbs in tune with his. I inclined my head to one side when I heard a faint rustling sound coming from my right. My skin prickled when I took a blind step towards that direction. I sniffed the air and instantly caught Ruari's scent.

I took off on a run. I wasn't thinking about anything just following my instincts. I've never done this before, never ran blindly towards something or someone. But the more I ran the more confident I become. And the closer the I got the pull of the mating bond grew stronger.

I skidded to a halt by the familiar clearing that's now known only to Ruari and myself.

"Ciaran?" Ruari called out from the middle of the pool.

I rushed in the water, not bothering to remove my pants, and within seconds I have him safely in my arms.

"Don't disappear like that again!" I breathed out harshly, burying my face on the side of his neck, allowing his presence to calm me.

Ruari's arms immediately locked around me. He understood.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd wake up before I come back." He whispered running his fingers through my hair. "I woke up and I didn't want to disturb you. I noticed the cabin was not far from here. I didn't think I'd be gone that long."

It's not that big of a deal. Actually, this whole episode was just me overreacting. And I know I'm behaving like a crazed and needy person who sucks the happiness and life out of someone because of his insecurities but I still can't believe Ruari's wholly mine now so cut me some slack.

I just got him back. Ruari is now bearing my mark and once we're done with the mating ritual nothing and no one would be able to separate us. And maybe then I'd be able to loosen up. Just right now, not having near me is scaring the shit out of me.