twelve

it had been two weeks since that day harry and i has confessed our feelings for each other in my treehouse. things had been going great actually, we decided to take everything very slowly, and of course very secretive.

we both agreed that if niall would find out, he would freak out completely. considering that harry also loved with niall now didn't exactly make things a whole lot easier. but i very much liked it, sneaking around with harry like we had our own little special secret that connected us.

harry. i couldn't get him out of my head either, his excellent green eyes and his unruly wild curls. he was so dreamy, so perfect, so—

"earth to louis!" i snapped my head up and made eye contact with niall. i blushed and tried to hide my face by looking down into the table again.

"what are you thinking about? you've barely touched your food and you know that if you don't, then i certainly will," niall explained and brought his hands to my food tray. he looked at me with his puppy eyes, and i signaled for him that it was okay if he ate it.

"well? what were you thinking about that had you so lost in space?" liam asked while niall picked my sandwich up and started munching on it.

i panicked, i knew i had to be careful when it came to talking about things these days. i glanced at zayn who was also sitting with his eyes fixed on me.

he raised an eyebrow, "well?"

with everyone's eyes on me, i said the first thing that came to mind.

"i have to pee."

with that, i immediately stood up and ran out of the cafeteria and away from my three, now confused, friends.

as i ran around a corner, i bumped into someone, resulting in myself falling face first to the floor. always a pleasure to be me.

"well well well, if it isn't louis tomlinson himself," a dark voice said, i looked up and was met with a tall figure dressed almost completely in black. i frowned and stared at the floor again.

"awww, are you lost? do you want me to call your mummy?" he teased. i felt tears brimming at my eyes and how my lips had started to tremble.

"come on, i'll get mummy for you," he said and grabbed my arm forcefully, making me let out a loud sob.

just as he was about to walk away with me in his firm grip, i heard the sound of boots against the cement flooring. i turned my head to see an all too familiar face walking towards us.

"let him go, grimshaw," harry's intimidated voice echoed throughout the hallway, sending a cold chill down my spine. his face was cold as ice, and he was back to his defensive, unpredictable self again.

"oh, louis and i was just going to go for a walk, isn't that right louis?" he asked me and i swallowed thickly, not dating to say another word.

"let him go. now."

"uh oh it's the big, bad harry styles! i'm so scared!" grimshaw chuckled,
making me let out a quiet cry again. he dramatically let go of my arm and shoved me in harry's direction, before laughing at us.

harry took me into his arms and held me tighter than he'd ever done before. "you're safe now," he mumbled into my ear, before letting go of me and taking a step forward as if to hide me behind his back.

grimshaw furrowed his eyebrows as if he was trying to figure out something, before breaking into a big smile.

"you two, huh?"

"stay out of it, nick. it's none of your business."

nick laughed and walked closer to harry and i. "no i mean, i always knew tomlinson was a fag, but you? hilarious. should've known you weren't as tough as you looked," he taunted.

somehow, him calling harry a fag hurt me a thousand times more than it had ever done whenever someone called me one.

harry shoved nick backwards, causing him to stumble over a bin and falling over. but harry didn't stop, he jumped on top of him and threw punch after punch.

nick gasped for air, and i couldn't help myself but to think back to that day when harry attacked niall in the same way. he no longer looked like the adorable person i'd come to known, he looked like as if some kind of demon had possessed his body to the point were he was completely inhuman.

i hadn't realized i had started crying until i felt the salty taste of my own tears in my mouth. i walked up a bit closer to them, feeling utterly scared of what was going to happen next.

harry threw another punch to nick's face, splitting his lip open. nick gasped and for a second i thought i could see tears coming from his eyes as well.

"harry stop!" i yelled as loud as i possibly could. he hadn't heard me. and even if he had, he hadn't stopped.

i ran up to him and carefully grabbed his shoulder, pressing my hand down firmly so that he would notice me. luckily, he did.

it was as if someone had turned off a light switch, and all of a sudden he was back to being the sweet and cuddly harry i adored so much. well, except for the fact that he had nick's blood all over his large hands, and red, swollen eyes.

he looked me in the eye as he realized what he'd done. he frowned and glanced down at his bloody hands, trembling as he did
so.

"no... no no no..." he trailed off before looking up at me again. he had tears in his eyes and his face showed clear signs of deep regret.

"harry... please stop this," i begged. he gasped and jumped up on his feet again, leaving nick to suffer on the cement floor.

"lou... i'm so—"

"i know," i responded and hugged him. most people would probably have been scared of him, well they would probably even call him insane or psychotic, but not me. well, i mean of course i was frightened, i was frightened that the next time he'd get into one of these fights he wouldn't be able to stop.

but i saw him, i saw the real harry. the sweet, caring, loving harry that was buried deep inside him, hidden behind the tough mask he put on for others.

i just had to figure out why.