twenty one

harry frowned, "i don't as much anymore, it's just... sometimes i have to do something." he shrugged, pulling his arm closer to himself, not wanting to expose his scars to me.

"you don't have to explain yourself, i trust you."

he smiled at me and turned his head so we were facing each other, noses touching in an eskimo-kiss. his eyes were so beautiful and bright, and they looked relieved, like this was the first time someone had actually cared about him. and maybe it was, but that only made me more infatuated with everything the boy had to offer.

he was laying himself bare in front of me to slowly see all of his layers, he wanted me to help him. and i would.

i have had a lot of bad days in my life. like a lot of them. but there's four that stand out. the first of them was my father leaving me, that was without a doubt the first worst day i went through. the second one; the day i found out about my mum.

i was sitting in the kitchen a few days later, doing some of the schoolwork i had been missing during the days i was at home with harry. it wasn't a lot of work per say, but i already felt like i was slacking behind in multiple subjects so i definitely needed some catching up.

the front door opened and the sound of my mums shoes clicking against the floor made me smile, and i quickly put my notepad down on the counter and began trying to tiptoe my way into the hallway. just as i was about the go in, my mum rushed past me and walked straight in to her bedroom and shut the door behind her. my stomach dropped. this wasn't supposed to happen, she was supposed to come up and hug me and kiss me and ask me how my day was. not ignore me and hiding in her room.

i finally decided to check on her, so i slowly made my way towards the door and knocked twice without an answer. i had a bad feeling that i couldn't ignore so i began twisting the doorknob, "mum? i'm coming in." the door opened slowly to reveal my mum sitting on the edge of her bed with her head in her hands.

"mum? what's going on, are you okay?" i sat down beside her, leaning against her and put my head on her shoulder.

she sighed and shook her head, "i love you so much my lou." she burst into tears, which caused me to tear up as well. i hated seeing her upset, and in that moment she looked like she was utterly defeated.

"has something happened?" i asked and tried not to make it so obvious that i was crying too.

"i need to tell you something, lou. something important and i need you to let me finish before you think any further on this. can you do that?" she asked and i nodded and swallowed hard, i knew i wouldn't be able to hold my tears in no matter what she'd tell me, because she was clearly trying her best not to cry as well and she looked almost pained as she did so.

she grabbed my hands and held them tight in her own, giving the a little squeeze of comfort. she took a deep breath and looked into my eyes, "i haven't been feeling too well lately. i've been having a constant, light ache in my back and i've just been feeling a little off in general. so, so i went to the doctors last week..."

"no."

her lips trembled as she shook her head and squeezed my hands tighter, "lou. please let me finish." i broke down into muffled sobs and looked down at our hand. i couldn't look her in the eye for much longer, because i saw that whatever it was that had happened, she was suffering for it.

"they told me it was probably nothing, but they wanted to do some tests on me anyways. so i went again this morning because they called me and told me they had the test results back..."