twenty three

"hello..?"

"hey, niall. it's louis."

"yeah i saw it on the display."

"oh. uh, i just wanted to call and ask you how you're doing and stuff, um and i was just wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime?"

niall sighed, "louis, you know you're still my best friend. of course i wanna hang with you but harry..."

"he's fine."

"yeah no, i'd rather not talk to him."

"but i can hang without bringing harry."

"as if. you two are practically attached by the hip, it's inevitable."

"well, in that case-he's been better, he's really trying to make things right."

"could've fooled me." i could practically hear how niall rolled his eyes through the phone. this wasn't going to be easy. "you know, i still live with him. i have to put up with him everyday and from what i've seen - he's not been any better. at all."

but harry had promised me... did he lie about being nicer? "i'm sorry about that, but i think he's really trying and, well i miss hanging out with you guys."

"we miss hanging with you too. you've missed out on a lot of things, it's weird not having you here with us."

i bit my lip, "maybe um, maybe you'd wanna catch up? and uh i think that maybe harry would be nicer if he's with me, so he can see that you're not so bad you know."

"i don't know..."

"niall, please. i'll tell him to be nice, and believe me, he's really been trying to be better when he's around me, he just has some bad habits. please."

it was silent for a minute and it almost felt as if the silence built up a wall between us, like it got more and more tense by the minute.

finally i could hear a sigh, "fine."

i smiled, "really?!"

"yeah don't make me regret it, i'm only doing this for our friendship, not for him to practice being nice."

"he'll prove you wrong."

"i certainly hope so."

i knocked on the all too familiar door. i hadn't been there ever since the whole thing with harry had happened, and quite frankly, i was nervous. i shifted uncomfortably, the silence was stressing me out too much. i turned to my right where harry was standing, he too being quiet, as i had told him to behave himself, just this once.

i smiled, he was so cute and serious standing there, trying his very hardest to not be annoyed due to the fact that no one had opened the door yet. "you okay haz?"

he huffed, "i fucking live here, can't i just open the door?"

"no, we have to wait for niall. i promised we would behave and be nice to him and the lads," i laughed. he rolled his eyes, but the second i squeezed his hand a bit tighter, his lips curved up into a small smile, the most beautiful smile in the world. "i love you."

he leaned over and pressed a kiss to my forehead, "i love you too."

truth to be told, as much as i wanted to make amends with the boys, i'd much rather have gone back home with harry and cuddled all day. but seeing as it had been a little over a month of not talking to them, it had to be done. i didn't want to risk regretting anything, and knowing that i was a bit more on the overthinking side of things, i definitely had to.