Chapter 14

The days felt longer, that was something that began to feel intoxicating to Y/N as each moment passed by. Gally has been put under special care that resulted in a 24-hour watch by the medjacks. He wasn't doing all that great, but no one truly did after being stung by a Griever. It was one thing to break a leg but there was a physical and mental strain to being stung by a Griever. That's at least what Alby said, but not from experience.

  It was one thing to have experienced a specific injury, but a whole thing to watch others. To explain agony was to explain hell. Y/N brought her hand over her forehead to ease the heat that began to surface there. With the heat came a pain. Y/N was perched in the watchtower to be with herself, just to think.

  Cecil was with the Runners so Y/N was alone for now, at least, until the sound of wood creaking notified her. She lifted her head when she spotted a familiar face peaking up. "Well hello there, Newt. You've seen better days." Y/N hummed as she leaned up against the railings. The railings weren't entirely sturdy, but neither was the structure. She couldn't figure out why it hadn't toppled over quite yet, but there was most likely an architectural explanation.

  Newt let out a chuckle as he fully made his way up. His hair was clinging to his forehead from the sweat from overworking. If Y/N had worked, then she was sure that she'd be sweaty as well. "I've been better. Don't suppose you'll be working today," Newt tested. The silence answered him. "Figured as much. Well, tomorrow you'll have to get back into the swing of things, we're behind in the garden." Newt says as he leans his back up against the railing. There was a silence between them before he finally let out a sigh. "We need to talk about that night."

  Y/N lifted their gaze in confusion. "That night? Are you referring to the night of the arrival of our Greenie?" She asks as she stares at Newt.

  There was an odd look to Newt that made her feel as though she had done something wrong. If she had, she wanted to apologize immediately.

  "We did things. Things that never should've happened," Newt says, then turns his eyes to the side. "Things that you never would've done if Gally had been there."

  Y/N narrowed her eyes at his words, then sighed. "You're right. They shouldn't have happened, so I'm sorry." She says, partially meaning it while the other half didn't quite mind. In terms of where she stood with Gally, the feelings were a tad confusing. She had feelings for Gally, and they were quite obvious, but she wasn't sure how Gally felt. There was no way she could ask now, especially when he was still recovering.

Newt's eyebrow twitched upward, then he averted his eyes to the side. He was aware of Gally's emotional standing on everything. He was brutal, rude, the epiphany of human garbage. There wasn't much regret on his end of their moment, especially when he admired Y/N from the beginning. However, he knew better. He knew that their 'moment' only happened because she was upset. He clicked his tongue, then looked at her. "Listen, you guys aren't together, and with the way he treats you, I'm sure he wouldn't care if he found out. The most I'll give him is that he sees you as property and will only bitch for a week and get over it." He muttered, clenching his teeth tighter. He could feel his molars grind together like gears.

The sound of footsteps against the ladder alerted the two of them another person was joining. She peered over her shoulder, eyes scanning the ledge to see who the culprit was. When she sees Minho, her eyes tilt upward. She hadn't exactly been able to interact with him— seeing as he was mostly within the walls. "Hi Minho." Y/N says, flashing a timid smile. It was slight, but she swore she saw him roll his eyes.

  "You can just say 'hi' or 'hey shank for brain." Minho says, heaving himself upward so that he was standing on the ledge. He stretched out his arms a bit, allowing a oop to echo.

  "Gross." Newt winced, turning his head to the side in disgusting. He never liked bodily sounds, but he wasn't in any space to complain.

  "Anyway," Minho muttered, waving his hand as if to dismiss Newt from existence. "Gally's awake, he should be up and running by the end of Thursday night."