Chapter twenty-one

Third pov

Dwayne moved to sit more comfortable but Elise whined only feeling him move. "I'm staying. Not going anywhere, sweets." He calmed her and nuzzled her.

Marko was the first she had latched onto so moving wasn't an option for him. Not that he minded. Knowing their mate was safe made the gaping hole in his chest almost worth it. And the knowledge that she had believed them dead strengthened the instinct not to let go of her at all.

When David and Paul came Elise was halfway asleep. The last bits of tension left the group as they all curled up together.

The boys had been forced to use illusions to get away. Currently the injuries where the following;

Marko, a hole in his chest. The stake had barely missed his heart.

David, two holes in his chest. The hornes hadn't been wood and that was the only reason he hadn't died.

Dwayne had been struck by Sam's arrows and used an illusion to get away.

Paul had holy water injuries over his face and hands.

Now that their mate was human, they had to restrain themselves when they woke up.

Marco gently nudged her awake. "Elise, we have to go eat. Can you go get Laddie while we do that?"

After a few moments hesitation she nodded and let them go feed as she went back to the Emerson house.

Laddie met her in the door. His hopeful face made her smile and nod in confirmation.

"They're alive."

The little boy's face lit up as he threw his arms around her.

She hugged the boy, her eyes landing on Lucy in the door opening. She moyhed a "thank you" to the older woman.

Lucy just smiled, happy that despite everything the young woman and boy could go on.

This is the end of the book. I want to thank everyone that has voted and commented. I would never have gotten this far without you.