15: Mother

Inky, black, shadows cast over the murky room and candles glowed golden from the flickering fire atop their wicks, shedding a dim light across the house. Monsters lurked in the darkness as they waited to jump their victims and break their spirits down bit by bit.

The floor was ice against my bare feet and floorboards creaked with every step I dared to take as a constant reminder to the monsters of my location. I could hear its whispers from where I stood, begging me to step out and submit myself to them.

I sprinted away from the sounds and down a long hallway. The home, my childhood home, wasn't the same as it had once been. The hallway was far longer than I remembered, with plenty of twists and turns. I didn't recognize the paintings and the doors from within, but after having walked for many minutes, I found myself back in the living room.

"Izumi," the low, raspy, sound whispered from the darkness.

"Who's there?" my normal deeper voice was replaced with a shaky squeak.

"Izumi," the growl of my name echoed throughout the hallways, haunting my every thought.The floorboards protested loudly as I shifted towards the kitchen, letting out screeching groans with every weighted step. The closer I got to my destination, the louder everything became. I came to a complete stop and placed my hand on the kitchen door.

There was a screech from the door as I slowly nudged it open, and I cautiously moved inside. The kitchen table was covered in dirty dishes that couldn't fit in the overflowing sink. The cupboards were falling off the hinges, yet still swung open and closed on their own. The fridge, which sat in the corner of the room, was old and dirty. The door didn't close properly so it didn't keep all the food cold.

"Welcome home, darling."

My mother was as beautiful as the last time I saw her as she sat at the table, which had suddenly been completely cleared of the mess. She was drinking green tea like every other regular morning. Mother said it relaxed her. She'd offered me a sip once, but I'd been disgusted after one taste and chose to never try it again.

"Mother, I miss you."

"I know," her hand was freezing to the touch as her fingers gently ran across my cheek, "but we're together now."

She pulled me into a gentle hug, and my body tensed at the affection. It had been a long time since my mother last hugged me. It had been a long time since I received a genuine hug from someone who cared about me. The feeling had become strange as time went on. I couldn't explain the trembling of my limbs.

"Your mother doesn't love you," the raspier voice from earlier whispered directly into my ear. "I am the only one who cares about you, Izumi. No one else matters."

The voice sent shivers down my spine as the gentle embrace of my mother turned tight and strangling. Despite my pushing and struggling, the grasp grew stronger for each passing second. I couldn't explain the feeling that I experienced while receiving a hug such as that, or I was trembling so harshly.

"You will become the leader of the next era of villains," the arms finally loosened from around me as the figure pulled away and I knew this man well enough to realize that, had it not been for his mask, a devious smirk would make it home on his features.