20: Heroes and Villains

"I am here! Hope you're ready to return to your lessons. Today it's Hero Basic Training. Feels like I haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back! Now then, listen carefully for what's in store. We're going to be conducting a little race. Take everything you've learned from your internships and apply it to your rescue training!"

Everything I learned from my internship about rescuing people, huh? I'd learned only one thing. I learned that I wasn't fit for rescuing others. I was too busy hesitating to help, or running away like a coward.

"If this is rescue training, then shouldn't we be at the USJ instead?" Nerd— Iida raised his hand.

"That facility specializes in disasters. As I said earlier, this is a race. So prepare! You're about to step into field Gamma! Inside, is an area full of factories that form an intricate labyrinth. So good luck finding your way around. You'll be competing in groups of 5. Each person starts in a different location on the outskirts of the model city. I'll send a distress signal and you do what you must to rescue me. Whoever finds me first wins — but try to keep the property damage to a minimum."

"Why are you pointing at me?" Ass—Bakugou demanded.

The first group that went consisted of Iida, Ojiro, Pin—Ashido, Iida and Tape. Er... Sero. Yeah. That was his name. The rest of us were waiting in the middle of the training ground by a large screen where we could watch our classmates. A couple people were betting over who they thought would win.

I didn't care.

The group sure was surprised upon seeing Freckles—shit—Midoriya take first place. It had shocked me the first time I saw it during their fight with Stain. Although I didn't stick around long, I still saw it. Sero still beat him in the end though.

"Izumi, I called your group. Head to the starting line!" All Might announced loudly.

"I'm feeling a bit sick today, so I'm going to sit out."

I can't rescue anyone. Why should I bother? There's no point. I can't be a hero so I should stop wasting everyone's time. Even if I asked around, would anyone answer the way I wanted them to? Would anyone give me the answer I wanted to hear? I was too afraid to find out.

"Sometimes heroes need to fight when they're not feeling at their best—"

"—I have severe cramps," I lied through my teeth.

All Might froze midsentence and the guys that were still around suddenly went quiet. The girls all glanced at each other before bursting into laughter, teasing and poking at the boys for their reaction. The guys, on the other hand, were muttering awkwardly about knowing too much information.

"Why don't you sit out today?" All Might coughed, refusing to look at me.

"Yeah, I'd appreciate that."

I went towards the corner of the platform and sat down. I was in the way of the true heroes. Even if I could become a hero, I'd likely become another fake one. False heroes were not worthy of living. I had come across many of them and as I was right now, I was no better than any of them.

When the exercise was finally over, we were all instructed to head back to the locker rooms to change. I walked over to my locker and opened it up, reaching to grab my UA uniform.

"Do you want some Tylenol for your cramps, Izumi?" Princess, Yoayorozu, asked me.

"No. I don't have cramps." I reached behind me to try and get the zipper for my black bodysuit. Perhaps I should have the support class fix it up so it would be easier to take on and off? No. I shouldn't waste their time. I wouldn't be at UA much longer anyway.