18: A Bad Game

I don't like this. 

Buildings are exploding. Everything is on fire. People are screaming and crying. They're trying to run away. People are dying. Why can't I move? They're innocent people. We attacked them unprovoked. Is this what villains do? Do they attack for the sake of hurting people?

Shigaraki's maniacal laughter is ringing through my ears as he yells into the night, "Now this is a good game!"

This is a game? Could all of this be considered a game? No. It's not a game. People are suffering. People are dying! How is this a game? My body is shaking. Why do I feel so strongly? Why am I so angry? I can't watch this.

What would the teachers at UA think if they found out I was partially behind this? What would my classmates think? What would Bubbles think? What would Frosty think? What would Rocky think? They wouldn't forgive me.

"The Nomu make such great playthings," Shigaraki chuckled.

"Are you not going to participate in the fight?" Kurogiri asked him.

"Don't be stupid. I'm still injured. That's why I brought those pets with us. Once this night is over, the world will have forgotten you ever existed! Hero killer..."

The pro heroes are becoming overwhelmed. The people are so afraid. The Nomus have already killed many people from the explosions and collapsing buildings. The people are panicking, which is making them vulnerable to attack. Hosu City is quiet, and not much crime happens in this area. There probably aren't very many heroes around to help.

"My son!" a pitched screech wailed into the cold night air. "My son! Please! Anyone! Rescue my son!"

The mother is on the ground being trampled by the many escapees. A large piece of a broken building is burying her legs — they're probably broken. She's reaching out desperately towards where the people are running from. A Nomu is approaching a very young boy. He's barely a toddler.

He's sobbing, stumbling back as the Nomu gets closer. Where are all the pro heroes? Why isn't anyone helping him? He's going to die. How can Shigaraki still be laughing? He's insane! I can't watch this child die. I can't.

"Shifter, what are you—"

The air moved rapidly around me as I jumped off the water tower and fell towards the roof below. I couldn't stop. I had to move! What can I switch him with? No, I can't just switch him. The Nomu will attack the other people. There's only one way I can do this.

I landed on the ground amid the panic and shoved my way through the crowds. I have to reach him! I can't see him anymore. I can't see him. I should have switched him while I hand the chance. I should have—

I can't breathe.

The child's lifeless body as thrown through the air as it smashes into a brick wall. His mother lets out a distressed wail as sobs begin to overtake her body. The Nomu is attacking other civilians in an instant.

I let the boy die.

He's dead.

The Nomu was suddenly engulfed in flames and the people all let out cries of relief. The Nomu shifted its attention onto the Pro Hero before spreading its wings and lifting to the sky. As the wind picked up from its flying, the fire faded out.

"That must be one of the villains," Endeavor pointed at me. "Are you ready, Shoto?"

Todoroki appeared at his father's side with a nod and the two took up fighting stances. No. I'm not a villain! I was partially behind this attack. I let a child die. How could I not be a villain? But I wanted to help them. I tried to help them. I didn't try. I watched the Nomu kill him.