34: Trial's End

PLEASE check out this poll! Izumi is getting an alternate universe story since I'm catching up to the anime and I don't read the manga. More details can be found in the poll, but please vote which AU of the options you'd want to see. https://www.quotev.com/quiz/12295302/Izumis-Newest-Adventure

----------------------------------

"Izumi Kawakami, could you please take the stand?"

All eyes shifted to me and I looked around the room in confusion, "The what?"

Nobuko pointed to where All Might had been, "Just take a seat up here."

I nervously rose to my feet and pulled my wrists against the cuffs. Everyone watched as I stepped forward and a part of me wanted to run from the room and hide. Climbing up to the higher desk, I sat down in the seat and looking around the room as my anxiety rose.

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

I flinched back as the woman appeared at my side and looked to Aizawa in confusion. I don't know what's going on. He was still very tense and wore a frown. All Might and Nezu were on either side of him and didn't look much happier.

"Izumi, were you not told of the practices of the court?" Nobuko asked me.

"I don't know what's going on..." I mumbled to her.

"Okay. Mr. Kuba, who you were sitting with, and Mr. Handa—" she pointed at the man who glared at me—"are going to ask you some questions. I need you to answer truthfully, or you're going to get in trouble. I know it might be scary to answer some of the questions, but I promise everything will be okay as long as you tell the truth. Do you understand?"

"Um, yeah."

"Okay, so she's going to ask you if you swear to tell the truth again, and I need you to tell her that you do."

"Okay," I glanced at the other woman nervously.

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

I looked at Nobuko nervously before glancing back at the other woman, "I do."

"Mr. Kuba, you may begin your examination."

The man who sat beside me earlier stood up and moved towards the front of the room. His lips formed a gentle smile as he waved, and I awkwardly lifted a hand to wave back. He seemed a lot less intimidating all of a sudden.

"Izumi, could you tell me about your living conditions?" he asked me.

"My living conditions?"

"Yes — tell me everything you think is important about where you've been living."

"Um, I'm living with one of my teachers, Mr. Aizawa. I have my own room. He cooks meals that I like and offers to buy new things that I can try. He helped me with my homework and when I was studying for our exams. I would have failed if he hadn't."

"What's your opinion on Mr. Aizawa?"

"He's nice to me and cares about me. I think he's a really good hero. I didn't believe in heroes when I started going to UA, but then he showed me that true heroes do exist. He's a nice teacher, and cares about his students a lot."

"How has attending UA impacted your life?"

"I used to hate heroes completely, and I would tell everyone that I wanted to be a villain. But when I was at UA I realized that I wanted to be a hero instead. I thought that having friends would drag me down, but then I met Uraraka and Kirishima and I really like having them around. If I didn't go to UA, I'd probably still be locked in a dark room somewhere by myself. I'd be really angry."