23: Will I Die?

"Alright, put your pencils down. The last person in each row, bring the answer sheets to me."

I placed my pencil down on my desk and stared down at my answer sheet. Standing up from my seat, I picked it up and moved up the row as I grabbed the tests of the other people in my row. Although I wasn't able to answer some of the questions, I felt very confident in the questions that I could answer.

I just knew the answers. I skipped half the tests since the beginning of the year and didn't score higher than 10% on the ones I actually wrote. I never understood the terminology or I just didn't know the answers. I never knew.

This time I did. When I read the questions, a part of my mind just seemed to get them. I could be wrong though. I did learn everything in a week, after all. Even if I did much better than all the other tests so far, I still didn't understand a whole bunch of the questions. I left a lot of blank spaces.

I handed the sheets I'd collected to Aizawa and, seeming to sense my nerves, he gave me a slight nod in reassurance. I'd gotten used to living with him over the course of the week. We'd been working together a lot since he was helping me study and I found a new appreciation for him. Even though he didn't like me, he was still trying to help me pass his class — even if it was just so he didn't have to have me as a student in summer school.

But he also offered to help me study during the summer so I would be able to keep up next year so maybe he didn't think I was so bad after all! No. I can't get my hopes up. I can't allow myself to form any emotional attachments. Father will be angry with me. Father will hurt me. I don't want to train with him.

"Change into your hero costumes and head over to the Center Plaza for the practical exam," Aizawa ordered the class.

Waiting for no one, I grabbed my sad excuse for a hero costume and bolted to the girl's changeroom. I wanted to be out before the others got here. My classmates had given up on me. They've all been ignoring me since that day. It's for the best... but it hurts.

I hate it when they look at me that way. They look at me the same way that the teachers look at me. Their eyes are filled with anger and distrust. None of them want me around anymore. I bet they all would rather Shinsou hadn't stopped me that day. They'd be happier if I'd jumped off the damn roof. Maybe I would be too.

No. I can't let myself think like that again. I can't. Committing suicide is the coward's way out. It would be like running away from all my problems. I can't run away. I'm not aloud to or father will hurt me. But I guess he can't do shit to me if I'm already gone.

I zipped up the front of my black bodysuit and wrapped the belt around my waist. The attached pouches were currently empty, although I should have enough time to fill them up before the exams began. Fixing the mask over my eyes, I stared at myself in the mirror as my damned freckles were hidden beneath it. Fucking freckles. Fuck them.

I closed my locker just as the door opened and the rest of the girls piled inside. Their conversation, that had previously been loud and filled with laughter, suddenly quieted as soon as they saw me. Locking my lock, I quickly left the room.

No sooner than when I had closed the door, the laughter immediately started up again. They were all fine and having fun without me. They didn't need me. Why am I here? I probably failed the written exam, and I'll fail the practical too. I can't be a hero. I don't want to be a villain.

I can't breathe.

I broke into a sprint as I dashed down the halls. I slammed into another person, I assumed he was male, but I shoved them aside without bothering to look as I continued to run to the exit. Bursting out the front doors, I allowed myself to collapse to my knees as I sucked in a huge breathe.