32: Awaken

When I woke up, I couldn't move.

The machine next to me was beeping every couple seconds to signify my heart beating, and an IV was stabbed into my arm. The room was empty of people, but as my eyes shifted across the room all I could see were cards, flowers and various gifts. Was all of this for me?

My arm trembled violently as I lifted it from the bed, and I could barely get a grip on the card sitting on the bedside table. My grip let out before I could pull it over to me and it fell onto my chest. Seconds later, my arm collapsed back to my side. Every movement caused pain to throb through my body, and a part of me wanted to cry.

An image of my father flashed through my head and my mouth clenched shut as my muscles tensed. The fear appeared and took over out of nowhere, dragging my limp body down into the darkness where all of my memories lie. The beeping from the machine sped up rapidly. My body was so exhausted I barely had the strength to tremble.

Strangers rushed into the room, and I fought to move. I have to get away. I need to get away! Stay back! Flailing exhausted limbs, my breathing grew heavy. Every movement was draining. All of my energy was being constantly sucked out of me. Having gotten too close the edge, a yelp escaped my lips as I fell off the side. Hands reached out to grab me and I struggled to push them away. I don't like this. Let me go. Let me go!

All I can see are images of my father. He's surrounded me. Every hand is the large, calloused one he used when he grabbed me. Every touch against my skin reminds me of an injury he's inflicted at some point during my life.

"Young Izumi," the voice was commanding, yet gentle. The many hands of the strangers moved away and only one person took their place. He looked awful and had several bandaged injuries all across his body. He was the man that saved me. But all I could remember was being hit with his punch.

My feet weakly slid against the floor as I tried to push myself away but I lacked the strength. His hand reached out, and my eyes widened in terror as my mind turned it into his muscle form's fist before it made contact. I flinched away with a cry, trying to push myself further and further away.

One of the nurses pushed forward and I screeched in terror, using all my strength to kick out my legs to keep her away. All Might caught me, holding me in place. I couldn't move. I can't move. I'm scared. Someone, help me. Someone come save me. I let out another cry as something stabbed in my leg and everything went fuzzy as my head fell towards the ground.

When I woke up again, I was back in the hospital bed and the IV had been reattached. A glass of water stood on the bedside table, with a straw long enough that I could shift my neck a little bit to reach it. My lips quivered as they enclosed around the straw, and I pulled a bit of water into my system. My mouth suddenly felt so much drier, and I began to gulp down sip after sip until the glass was empty. Pulling away, I let out a tired breath.

The card I'd tried to read earlier was back on the desk, but it had been turned so I'd be able to read it from where I was laying. Trying to focus my eyesight on the words, it took a couple of seconds before I was able to make out what it said.

Dear Izumi,

Mr. Aizawa told us that the hospital isn't allowing you to have visitors right now but we all wanted to let you know we're thinking of you so he said he'd figure out a way to get this to you! We all wrote you a letter and put together a get-well package for you.

Wishing you a quick recovery,

Class 1A

My lips parted in a slight smile. It was tiring to do so, but I couldn't help it. Rolling onto my side, I could see the box of letters on the floor beside my bed and a basket filled with all kinds of things just behind it. They were heavier than I expected, but I managed to pull both things up onto the bed beside me. Reaching into the box, I pulled out my first letter. It was in a plain white envelope with neat writing to spell my name on the back.