16: The League of Heroes

I shifted my hands uncomfortably, trying to ignore the tight restraints around my wrists and the pull keeping them close together. After spending the rest of the night at the police station for interrogations and testing, they finally allowed Nezu to sign some papers and let me leave.

It was still the early hours of the morning when I was escorted from the prison cell to the front area where Nezu was standing. The handcuffs were snapped off my wrists, although the quirk-cancelling bracelets remained on as always. I didn't like prison cells. They were dark and cold. They reminded me of home.

Not a word was shared between Nezu and me as we exited the building, and I quietly climbed into the passenger seat of his car. I didn't want to talk to anyone after they'd seen such a weak and vulnerable side of me. I broke down in front of them. Father said that only the weak cry. He hated it when I cried.

Nezu would be angry too. After all, he was the principal of UA. He had more authority over me than the other teachers, and they already weren't very nice. He was tiny, and only a mouse, but there were many things I didn't know about him. What was his quirk? How powerful as it? Did he have any other abilities I don't know of?

I misbehaved and ran away. Both mother and father told me that the most important rule was to never ever run away or else. The last time I tried to run away, my father almost snapped my neck. He tore around our home, smashing pictures and breaking furniture. Trying to avoid the punishment made it worse. I can't run away. I have to face all my problems head-on and never run away.

Nezu pulled into the parking lot of his apartment. After finding a spot, he put the car into park and unlocked the doors. I didn't get out at first, but after Nezu opened the door I quickly followed suit. He was seldom this silent. Something was definitely wrong. Could he be that angry with me?

My legs froze from beneath me and refused to take another step. I couldn't go back into that apartment building. Nezu would punish me as father did. Father almost killed me. Would Nezu do the same? He was angry with me and Nezu was a hero. I was a villain. Who would believe the villain over the hero? No one.

"Izumi," I flinched at Nezu's voice. My head snapped up to stare at my principal, and my mind was screaming at me to run away. Running makes it worse. I can't. He opens the door for me and I hesitantly took a step inside. Nezu shuffles in after me and skips to the elevator. Seeing he wasn't able to reach the button, the front desk woman came over to press it for him.

I leaned against the elevator wall as the doors closed and the machine began to lift. The closer we got to Nezu's floor, the stronger the tightness in my chest grew. I didn't want to go back. As shaken as I was due to the situation, I longed for the feeling my brief taste of freedom had given me. No one was telling me what to do. No one was forcing me to go to school. No one was trying to hurt me - until the police showed up, anyway.

When the door to Nezu's apartment closed behind us, I suddenly realized how far we'd walked. Shifting my gaze away from my guardian, I tightly clenched my teeth together. What if he had some sort of superstrength quirk? Or venom? Maybe he had some sort of weapon inside his body?

"You should go get something to eat. We're already late for school so we need to hurry," Nezu shuffled into the kitchen and out of my sight.

He didn't hit me. Why didn't he hit me? I don't understand. I did something bad so father would always hit me over and over. We were training my obedience and physical strength. The training was the most important thing for my father so we did it all the time.

"Here," he exited the kitchen holding up a fresh apple. "Eat this."

I glanced down at him in confusion, "W-what?"