Chapter 23- Sacrifices

You need to break it off now, Raven. He doesn't understand what this means, you getting your mother to divorce your father. He doesn't get it, it hasn't clicked. If you don't tell him, really bad things will happen when you finally do. He needs as much time to get over you before Jade and dad get married, and suddenly this love is illegal;  I told myself. It keep running through my head and Calum and I drove back home. My mother was following us in her car. Though we may have looked like twins, we certainly had nothing in common when it came to personality and style. My mother looked like the stereotypical lady-like power-mother. Funny how nicely she'd managed to turn around, since she'd supposedly left me for partying.

        Calum looked over at me from time to time. He didn't understand why I was so silent and unhappy. He, of course, saw the marriage as good news. He knew that his mom loved my dad. So why shouldn't be happy? Celebrate?? He thought I was just in shock from seeing my mother again. That was partially true, but I was also internally breaking down. Calum and I would have to break up. I'd have to be his sister. The thought not only scared me, but kind of disturbed me. I wouldn't be able to kiss him, tell him I loved him, cuddle with him, and just.. be with him. But at the same time, I knew that it had to happen that way.

        I just didn't know how to tell him. How do you break the news to someone who you love? I was never good at that kind of thing. Or at anything, really. So I couldn't do it. I tried, but every attempt went something like this:

        "Calum?" I would finally muster the courage to tell him. "Calum. I really think we should talk about this thing."

        "Woah, my favorite song is on!!" Calum reached over to the radio and turned it up, cutting me off. And he would desperately begin a sing-along.

        And it happened three times. Once we desperately had to stop for burgers. The next time he just had to call Jade and tell her where we where. We'd agreed that we weren't going to tell her or dad anything about my mother being back until we were already there. So I gave up. I'd tell him when we got home. I would've noticed that he was acting strange, but I was so wrapped up in my own worries, I didn't ask him what was wrong, or inquire about him at all.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        As we pulled up to the house, followed by my mother, my heart began to pound. I was honestly terrified about how my dad would react. Hopping out of the car, I walked over to my mom's car and tapped on the window. She opened the door and got out. I instructed her on what to do. "Just follow my lead. "

        She nodded, straightening her white blazer. Again, a huge difference between our styles. Today, she was wearing black fitted dress-pants, black pumps, a coral blouse, and a white blazer over it. She looked so official, especially when I was dressed in a white and black checkered flannel shirt, a black band tee, and grey jeans.  Calum stepped around with me, offering his hand, but I refused.

         I took a deep breath, collected myself, and walked to the front door, and hopped up the stairs, opened the door, and walked in. Jade and dad were sitting on the couch, watching TV. They stood and approached Calum and I, smiling and hugging, and asking me questions. That lasted about five seconds, until my mother walked in, an awkward smile on my face.

        Everyone froze. My father cleared his throat, and looked at her. I would never forget the expressions that they exchanged. "Selene." He used the same voice with her as the voice he used with me when I'd done something that pissed him off.

        "Max." I could've sworn I heard her voice tremble, as if she was holding back tears.

        "Selene? This is Selene? What is she doing here?" Jade asked, obviously uncomfortable, and confused. I felt sorry for her, she looked so awkward.