Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Troye

When it hit the 48th hour and Mason still hadn't woken, I brought Caspian some things to make him feel a little better. He hadn't even left the hospital room except to use the bathroom.

When I entered, Casp was running his hands through Mason's hair slowly, staring down at him with pained eyes. It was devastating to watch.

"Hey Casp, I brought a little something for you," I said softly, taking a couple steps towards where he was sitting. He didn't turn and look at me, just "hmmed" in acknowledgement. "Well I've got a book-Pride and Prejudice-I'm not sure if you or Mase even like this kind of stuff, but I thought maybe you could read it out loud? It must get pretty boring in here for you guys."

The corner of Casp's lip turned up into a would-be smile before he whispered thanks, still without looking at me.

I cleared my throat, and tried again. "I also brought you some deodorant dude," I paused to chuckle slightly. "I know you're not going to shower any time soon, so I figured I would bring something to make you smell half-way decent when Mason wakes up."

Caspian's eyes shone with amusement when he turned and looked at me, but I still didn't get a laugh out of him. I figured this was all I was going to get, so I gently placed the items on the counter behind him, rubbing a hand over his shoulder soothingly.

"Dallas will be by with some lunch soon, okay?"

Caspian nodded, then turned back to Mason, resuming the soothing strokes his fingers had been making in his hair.

So I turned and left. But when Dallas delivered his lunch, Casp was already 10 pages in to my favorite novel, reading aloud to the unconscious Mase, and of course making jokes along the way.

~~

Sam

It was Tuesday, so I had to go to school.

I was the only one obligated to go (Dallas' instructions) because I was supposed to be "setting a good example as a beta." But how the fuck could I set a good example when I was the one who hadn't left his bed for a full 24 hours?

After Damien left yesterday afternoon, I called Dallas. I told him everything. I told him what happened with Mason, what Darius wanted and why, and of course Damien's supposed side of the story. Dallas was skeptical, and so was I, but when I told him that Damien has left my life for good, he relaxed. But, since the gods above have not been very forgiving, Damien was still my history teacher.

The only ones at the lunch table were Zeke and Terrance and I. Everyone was at the clinic with Mase, but Zeke hated hospitals and Terrance just felt bad for him, so they were here.

None of us seemed to be very hungry. The two sat opposite of me, sitting so closely their elbows overlapped while they mindlessly scrolled through their phones. Terrance would look up every once in a while, check his surroundings, look over at Zeke, then down at his phone and repeat the cycle again, exactly two minutes later. I had started calling this The Mason Effect. Dallas hasn't let Troye out of his sight since what happened, and similarly, Terrance was on hyperactive guard dog mode with Zeke. They knew Mason wasn't special; that Darius could have taken any of them just to have leverage when dealing with me, so they were all pretty spooked. I would be doing the same thing too, yanno, if I had a boyfriend that wasn't psycho.

Terrance broke his cycle a few minutes before the bell rang, bringing his backpack off the floor and on to the table before turning it over, some of its contents landing with a thud on the lunch table. I looked down. They were switchblades.