Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Terrance

The only sound that echoed throughout our room was the pang of my nerf basketball as it hit the rim of the hoop and bounced off, cascading towards the floor where I sat drowning my sorrows in Cheetos. I didn’t really have any sorrows per say, but saying that made me feel slightly better about eating them.

I could also hear the crisp flipping of paper as Zeke probably lied upright in his bed, turning the pages of the latest Shakespeare novel he was reading—get this—for fun.

So I let out a breath of air, ditched the Cheetos, dusted the crumbs off my body, ran a hand through my hair, then headed over to him.

I sat on his bed a fair distance away from him, not wanting to test the waters too much. We had only just kissed for the second time like an hour ago! And then of course, Z gets off my lap, comes in the house and sits in his bed with Shakespeare like it’s nothing.  To me, it was definitely something.

The other night when we were studying… things got slightly heated. We had been lying in the same bed for a while as I tested Zeke on his history terms. We never really were the type to be cuddly like Casp and Mase or Troye and Dallas, we were just pals. We had a mutual understanding of each other that no one else could replicate, and we had tattoos on our bodies to prove it.

It had gotten late and Zeke somehow ended up dozing off on my chest, something I didn’t think twice about; except when I found myself noticing how beautiful he looked when he was asleep.  After a minute or so of my fidgeting, Z woke up. He groaned and looked up at me, rubbing his eyes and mumbled about the time. And that’s when I did it. I kissed him. He was stunned; absolutely shocked—just like myself. It was a simple kiss, and when I pulled back, Zeke’s bright red face told me I wasn’t the only one who enjoyed it. But he was exhausted and had a test tomorrow so all I did was say goodnight and go to bed, and now here we are a day later: him reading Romeo and Juliet while I stared at how fast and beautifully his eyes roamed across the pages.

“Is there something you were looking for?” he asked in his monotone, yet noticeably perturbed voice, without looking up from his book.

I blew air out of my nose and chuckled slightly before inching towards him. “Can’t I just keep you company?”

He flipped the page, a ghost of a smile appearing on his face as he still stared downwards. “I guess that’s better then hearing you miss every shot you take with a nerf basketball.”

“Ouch,” I said, chuckling. He still didn’t look up. “I’m bored,” I announced finally, letting the hand that had been pulling on the ends of my hair fall on top of one of the pillows behind Z’s head. I had a plan.

“That’s unfortunate,” he told me without a moment’s hesitation.

I sighed dramatically, then inched even closer. He still did nothing. So this time, I let my fingers slowly weave through his hair as I peered over his shoulder. I felt him freeze and look up from his book, yet still not at me.

“But I’m still bored,” I told him again, my voice quieter this time.

His hair felt really soft between my fingers.

This time he hesitated before answering me, his voice barely a whisper. “Then find something to do.” I could tell he was weakening against my touch, however little it was. Teasing Z was easy. Whereas I had just recently discovered how much I really enjoyed staring at as his face and the fact he only reads classics, Zeke had known his feelings about me for a while. He told me so last year when I was a still a crazy horny boob-loving loser who couldn’t score for his life. I didn’t even care that he liked me, I just cared about tits. So I had some leverage when dealing with him.