Chapter 2

Anything would be better than the apartment where they now lived, thought Spencer once they were back in their two bedroom where they'd lived for the past five years. 

   Spencer, Parker and Charlotte moved in with Victoria after their Mom died, and after Victoria found out her younger sisters were living in a mobile house with a sinking floor and a mold problem in the bathroom. 

  It was all they could afford on the small amount of money their Mom got from the government every month, and Spencer remembered feeling ashamed when Victoria came to see their house after the funeral. The sad funeral that no one attended; not her Mother, not her sister who lived in Utah, no aunts or uncles. No one came but her four daughters, and Victoria's boyfriend Jason.

  Victoria was horrified by the state of the mobile home. She cried as she sat on the creaky metal steps that weren't even attached to the trailer. The steps swayed as the tall, skinny Victoria sat crying in her beautiful black dress that probably cost more than Spencer spent on groceries every year.

  "I can't believe this," Victoria said as she wiped away the tears with a handkerchief from her boyfriend Jason's pocket. Her hands were shaking. "Why didn't you tell me it had gotten this bad? How could you let the kids live in this?"

  "What was I supposed to do?" Spencer sobbed as she stood with her arms crossed; twenty-four then and trying to keep her younger sisters fed, clothed in and in school while she spent the rest of the time at the hospital while her Mom was dying from advanced bone cancer. "Call you while you lived happily in London with your boyfriend? You made it clear you didn't want anything to do with us."

  Victoria stared reproachfully. "I told you to call me if you needed anything!"

  "Yeah, I'm sure you would have been right there," Spencer said bitterly. "Don't try to put it on me, Vic. I'm the only reason the girls didn't end up in some shitty foster care situation."

  "Maybe they would have been better off," Victoria said as she stood up and looked at the beautiful Mercedes that her fiancee rented for the few days they were staying. "I can't believe Mom let this happen. Look at this."

  "You knew she was sick!" Spencer said; stung at the way her sister was looking at their home. Spencer kept the yard clean, and the house too. It wasn't her fault it was falling apart! She was trying her best to hold it together. "You knew we were struggling, but you were too good for us remember? We were living in a shit hole apartment when you left for your new life. It wasn't like we were living it up when you left! Why are you so upset now? Afraid your boyfriend will dump you now that he sees your family is trailer trash?"

  Victoria looked like she wanted to hit her sister, but instead she took a deep breath and tried to calm herself. 

  "Get your stuff," Victoria said finally. "You and the girls will be staying in a hotel until we get this situation figured out. I'm going to rent a small apartment for you, and we will pay for it. Jason is also willing to pay for you to go to school. The man you're insulting right now."

  "I didn't insult him," Spencer said; rolling her eyes. "I insulted you, and I don't need your help! I can work more now that I'm not busy taking care of Mom all the time. We'll be fine. We'll be out of here in no time."

  "No, you won't," Victoria said simply; her blue eyes blazing even though her voice was calm. "Don't make me go the legal route because I will. These girls can't stay here. They deserve better than this. You do too. Maybe I've been gone, but you're still my sisters. I know you don't think I love you, but I do."

   Spencer just shook her head; tears in her eyes as she folded her arms in defeat. She was crying too hard to reply. The sisters didn't say a word as they went inside to pack bags for the younger girls, and Spencer made sure they had all of their school books.