Chapter 22

The backyard project was full-steam ahead as was the wedding. The date seemed to get closer and closer as they finished with the greenhouse; replacing the glass, cleaning it out, and the end product was so beautiful that they all agreed it was worth the money as they looked at the gleaming greenhouse.

  They also had the pool repaired and it was now ready for warm weather. They planted some mature cherry blossom trees as those where Rose's favorite. They would bloom beautifully when it was time, the contractor promised. It was costly, but the backyard looked ready for a wedding.

  Dave helped out with the backyard too, and Spencer appreciated it more than she could say. Henry stopped in to help occasionally, and she was glad to see that he was still good friends with Parker despite the fact he was no longer at their house all the time. 

 He ignored Spencer which was a fresh hurt, but she tried take it in stride. She knew he was hurting too, but it didn't stop her from feeling annoyed as her openly talked about his latest date with Parker as they worked one Wednesday afternoon, and Spencer excused herself to go inside as she really didn't want to hear about him going out for the fourth time with a beautiful college senior who was studying art history. Apparently she was a former Miss America contestant.

  "You know, you don't get to be jealous when I talk about other girls," Henry said as he came into the kitchen as Spencer started supper even though it was only going to be her home as Parker gone upstairs to shower and head to work soon, and Victoria was now at Paul's after making up with her sisters – although things were still strained – and Rose was in DC. Charlotte was at a friend's house studying.

  Spencer glared at Henry. "... Who said I was jealous? You're delusional."

  "You stormed out of the yard at the mere mention of one of them!" Henry pointed out. "I think it was when I mentioned she was in Miss America. Was that too much information?"

  "Sure," Spencer said with a snort as she slammed the knife drawer shut. "Keep dreaming, Henry. No one is jealous of your bimbos of the week, I promise you."

  "Hey, they are very nice girls!" Henry protested as he went to wash his hands as they were all filthy from working in the back yard. "It isn't very feminist of you to insult another woman just because you're jealous of them."

  "I'm not jealous of them," Spencer said again. "I am just tired, and I wanted to get inside and start dinner."

  "Dinner for one," Henry said as he looked around. "So sad."

  She rolled her eyes.

  "I can stay and eat with you," he said as he started to play with Oscar the cat who enjoyed it when people hung out in the kitchen. He would bring all of his stuffed mice and other toys into the kitchen and put them under the table. All of them thought it was adorable except Victoria who always thought it was a real mouse in the morning and would shriek so loud that she woke up the entire house.

  "I'll be fine without you," Spencer said easily. "I promise."

  "Are you sure?" Henry asked as he glanced outside. "There is a big storm coming."

  "I'm fine," Spencer said again as she started to cut up peppers for her stir fry. "You are not welcome to any of my delicious food so please leave."

  Henry actually looked hurt by this even though she'd been trying to say it in a jokey manner, but he knew she meant it.

  "... You really don't want me around?" He asked quietly as he stopped playing with the cat who swatted at his knee as he stood up. "Alright. You don't have to worry about me anymore. I'm gone."