Chapter 23

Thankfully everyone was safe during the storm although Parker was a little rattled as she had to hide in the basement of the restaurant where she worked, and she was terrified that she would die there. She said it would be the most depressing death ever.

  "I just think about dying at that shitty, three star restaurant in that horrible uniform," Parker said with a shudder.

    They were all having breakfast together, and Spencer cooked them all of their favorites. She was nervous and upset about having to break up with Dave. She felt terrible. She couldn't even look forward to seeing Henry later. She felt too guilty.

  "Well, you didn't die," Charlotte said with a roll of her eyes. "It was just a small tornado on the edge of town. It hit an old abandoned barn, and that's it."

  "That siren is enough to make you wet your pants!" Parker pointed out. "I'm glad that Henry came to check on you, Spence."

  "He's so good," Charlotte said with clear affection. "I don't see why he hangs out with such a douche like Taylor though."

  "What happened with Taylor?" Spencer was surprised. "You were just with him last night."

  "And biting his tongue," Parker said with a smirk. "I saw a bunch of pictures he posted last night of the two of you."

  Charlotte's cheeks were a bit pink. "Well, it was fun, but he still flirted with like... every other girl in the place any time I turned my back. He isn't exactly boyfriend material."

  "There are plenty of other guys out there," Spencer said comfortingly.

  "I know," Charlotte said and looked miserable as Spencer put a plate of bacon on the table that Parker instantly tackled. "Hey, leave some for me!"

  "I thought you might be too sad to eat," Parker said as she left two pieces on the plate. "Anyway you have to keep your girlish figure while I am getting married which means I can let myself go. That's how it works right?"

  "No," Spencer said as she lifted a few pieces of bacon from Parker's plate with a fork onto her own. "You are getting married though which means you need to learn how to share. I thought they taught you that in kindergarten, but I guess it didn't take."

  "I need someone to take to the wedding!" Charlotte complained. "I can't think of any of the guys I know as boyfriends, you know? I half-thought about asking Henry to go as friends, but I think he's seeing someone right now."

   "Yeah, she's a former Miss America," Parker said with a smirk. "He might be busy."

   Spencer inwardly sighed.

  "I guess I'll just go alone," Charlotte said with a sigh. "As always!"

  Charlotte looked depressed, and it broke Spencer's heart. She knew she should tell her at that moment, but it just seemed too mean somehow. She was going to wait until Charlotte found someone else and was in a better place. She was clearly insecure about Taylor at the moment and looking for stability. She was only nineteen, and she wanted to be in love like anyone else. Spencer felt like a traitor as she finished up breakfast, and she went upstairs to change into her uniform.

  "I felt terrible," Spencer said as she talked to Henry on the phone on the way to work. "I uh... I think she might like you still, but I can't be for sure. I just want to wait a while until I tell her. She'll find a new boyfriend soon, I'm sure."

  "I understand," Henry said gently. "It's awkward. She hates Taylor one second, and she's crazy about him the next. Hopefully she'll out grow him and find someone better."