Chapter 14

"I don't know why they won't answer their phone," Rose said as she yet again tried to call Martha. "I keep getting their answering machine."

  "Maybe they're on vacation," Victoria said as she put more wood on the fire as it had snowed, and now their entire block was covered by three feet of snow. It was freezing out, and the drafty house was even chillier than usual. All the women were gathered in the living room and huddled on the couch. Spencer would rather be in her room where she could sulk in peace, but she was really cold as she cuddled next to Parker and Charlotte with Rose on Parker's lap.

  "Wouldn't they change their message to say that?" Rose complained. "So annoying."

  "Who still has an answering machine?" Parker asked.

  "Is that like voicemail?" Charlotte asked innocently. "Victoria and Spencer are probably the only ones old enough to remember answering machines right?"

 "Shut up," Victoria and Spencer said at the same time.

  "Maybe she just doesn't want to talk to me," Rose said and sounded depressed as she sat with her head back on Parker's shoulder as she stared up at the ceiling. "I don't know what to do if Martha says no. I tried her ex-boyfriend Greg, and I tried John's ex-wife Gloria, and neither have gotten back to me. What is wrong with people? I'm not asking them if they did it!"

  "Maybe if you worked for, like, a real publication," Charlotte said helpfully. "They might be more willing to answer your calls."

  "Thanks," Rose said dryly without taking her eyes off the ceiling.

  "I miss Henry," Charlotte said suddenly as she looked around. "He makes good pizza."

  "I made that pizza," Spencer said mildly as she played some stupid game on her phone. "He just helped."

  She had gotten a few texts from Henry. One where he asked if he could see her to say goodbye before he left that morning after the club incident, and she hadn't gotten back to him. Then another one a few hours later where he said he had to leave early to beat the storm, and he was sorry he couldn't see her before he left. Then he asked her to call him, and he asked if she had anything fun planned for New Years. He said he didn't know what he was doing yet. She texted him back a day or so later saying happy holidays back to him, and she didn't know about New Years either. He hadn't gotten back to her in four days.

  "He more than helped!" Charlotte said indignantly. "He told me it was his idea to put bacon on it. That was delicious. We should put bacon on more stuff. Actually I want bacon flavored everything."

  "You're so basic," Parker sighed as she rubbed her hand up and down Rose's midsection.

  "I wish Henry would text me back," Charlotte said. "I was asking him about the show they're playing on New Years."

  "He and his Dad go ice fishing for a few days truly out in the middle of nowhere on a lake with no electricity so I doubt he'll get back to you," Parker said with a smirk. "They do it every year, and he hates it, but his uncle and father drag him along. I think he'd rather stay home and bake with his sisters."

  "He truly is one of us," Charlotte said with a happy grin; looking relieved that he wasn't ignoring her. 

  Spencer felt the same way, but she still felt sick to her stomach about the whole situation even though deep down she knew it was a silly thing to be upset about. She didn't have any claim to him after all.

  Christmas ended up being a lot of fun. Charlotte screamed when she saw the new coat, and Parker practically danced when she saw the combat boots and said she couldn't wait to show them off to her friends. When the snow melted, of course, as she didn't want to mess them up.