Chapter 28

It was late in the evening when Charlotte finally arrived home. Spencer didn't know where her sister had been, and she had been worried sick as it grew dark. Spencer had sent Henry home earlier as she didn't want him to be there when Charlotte returned. 

  Victoria was working late so it was just the two sisters as Charlotte came in the room with her book bag full of clothes, and Spencer sat on the couch with a cup of coffee and the cats at her feet. Charlotte didn't look happy as she came into the living room and sat down opposite Spencer.

  "... Pamela told me about you and Henry," Charlotte said quietly. "... I didn't know you guys were a thing. How long has this been going on?"

  "Not long," Spencer said honestly. "I liked him for a long time, but I thought I could handle my feelings for him and make them go away, but... they didn't."

  "I've been there," Charlotte said as she leaned forward and picked at her nails. "Well, I can't say I'm completely surprised. I saw how he would flirt with you all the time, but I just thought he thought you were... you know, hot. I didn't think you'd ever like him back 'cause you thought he was just a silly kid. I didn't know it was, you know, a real connection. You never said anything about it to me."

  "I was embarrassed," Spencer said honestly as she put her cup down on the coffee table – on a coaster, of course, thanks to years of scolding from Victoria. "He was younger than me, and I hadn't had a guy flirt with me like that in... ages. I felt silly for liking him."

  "You're human too," Charlotte said gently, and her eyes softened as she saw Spencer's sincerity. "Why shouldn't he like you? It isn't that big of an age difference. He's a good guy. So... you guys are really together?"

  Spencer nodded. "We're uh... we're in love."

  "Wow," Charlotte said and seemed a little stunned. "In love? Really?"

  "Yeah," Spencer said with a slightly nervous smile. "It's all a little confusing and bewildering sometimes but nice. I just hate that I didn't tell you. I thought you might... I thought you might have a crush on him, and I was worried you'd be upset. I'm sorry Char. I shouldn't have gotten with him before I talked to you."

  "I get it," Charlotte said with a shrug of one shoulder as she sat in a cute polka dot romper – looking very young even as Spencer tried to see her as an adult. "I liked him for a little while, but I like a lot of guys. I've been spending a lot of time with Taylor, and he's different than I thought at first actually. I think we're really connecting, and he's maturing. So Henry wasn't like... the love of my life or anything."

  Spencer had to smile at that. "I figured. I'm sorry about not telling you."

  "So you and Henry are okay?" Charlotte asked. "Pamela mentioned she saw you with Dave this week too."

  Spencer rolled her eyes. "That Pamela has been busy. I just saw Dave at a bar which she went and blabbed to Henry like I was out with him."

  Charlotte sighed. "Pam has liked Henry for a long time, but she's too chicken to say anything. I think she knows that Henry can't actually stand her. Taylor doesn't like her either. He says she's more trouble than she's worth, and I'm starting to agree."

 "Another point for Taylor," Spencer said jokingly.

  Charlotte smiled at that. "I hope she didn't cause any issues with you guys."

  "She didn't – Well, not in the long run," Spencer said. "Henry and I were already fighting because I wimped out on telling you about us, and he wanted to be honest. He thought I was rethinking being together, and we didn't talk for a week, but we worked it out. We're all good. He knew better than to believe Pamela about Dave, but it did piss him off for a while."