Chapter 18

Spencer spent the weekend at Dave's, and when she returned home on Sunday morning she was surprised to see a man sitting on her porch. She felt instantly nervous. He was dressed as if he'd just gone to church, and he kept checking his watch. 

  The man looked up as Spencer came up the walk.

  "... Are you Rose?" The man asked.

  "No, I'm Spencer," Spencer said simply. "You are?"

  "Well, I'm Greg. Rose called me to ask me about William," he said and stood up. "You must be one of Janet's kids. I heard that this house was left to her daughters."

  "That's us," Spencer said and felt relieved. It was just Greg who was the ex-boyfriend of their aunt Martha. "Is no one home?"

  "I don't know," Greg said, and he looked embarrassed. "I haven't knocked yet. I was trying to decide if I should or not. I'm not ... sure Martha would like me talking to you."

  Spencer felt her heart race. "So you have some information?"

  "Yeah," Greg said simply and put his hands in his pockets. "I have some information. Something I've been keeping quiet for a very long time."

  "Come in," Spencer said and started up the steps. "I know Rose will want to hear it. She's been working on my uncle William's case for a few months, and she's desperate for any information she can get. She's been talking to Martha lately, but she's not getting anywhere."

  "I'm not surprised," Greg said as he followed her up the stairs. "This isn't something she wants out in the world."

  Spencer was slightly bewildered as she came into the house, and she found Victoria sitting in the kitchen with Rose and Charlotte. Parker was snoozing on the couch. The girls at the kitchen table all stared as the man entered behind her. Rose stood up though, and she looked stunned.

  "... Greg?"

  "That's me," Greg said with a slightly bashful smile as he waved at them. "Hello ladies. I'm sorry for interrupting your Sunday, but I'm so busy during the week that I rarely find any time that isn't taken up by family or work so this is it. I know I should have called first but..."

  "No, it's fine," Rose said to him as she rushed to usher him into the kitchen. "Sit, sit. Can we get you some coffee? I'm Rose by the way. I'm the one who has been calling you... probably way too many times. I'm sorry about that. I was just very curious to talk to you to see if you knew anything."

  "I don't need any coffee," Greg said as he unbuttoned his overcoat and sat down. "And it's fine that you called me. I understand your curiosity. I understand you've been asking the police for information too, and I will tell them to give you all the evidence that they can. I'm good friends with the chief of police. I'm sure they've been withholding. This case has always been an embarrassment to them."

  Rose was speechless for a moment. "... Are you serious? You can put a word in for me?"

  "Of course," Greg said kindly.   

   Greg was a handsome, older man with graying hair. Spencer could definitely see what her Aunt Martha had seen in him. He was even more handsome than his yearbook photos. 

 "I always wanted this case solved," Greg said after a moment. "I didn't know William that well, but I'd see him from time to time. He was a good kid even if he was a bit of a smart ass, but I guess that's twelve year old boys for you. He followed around Martha and Janet like the sun rose and set on them though. Especially Janet. You rarely saw her without Will."