Chapter 27

Sunday was the wedding, and the house was filled with excitement and people. Rose's siblings stayed the night as her Mom, and a few of Parker's closest friends to help them get ready. 

  The wedding was at four, and it took all day to make sure the back yard was set up perfectly, and the pool was perfectly clean as they were going to use it as part of their party. There were floating flowers and candles in it – Spencer's idea – and she was sure someone would get thrown in it by the end of the night. Parker was one of the brides, after all.

  Spencer was running around like a mad woman getting this or that for the bridesmaids. There were six of them, and she felt a sigh of relief go through her as during one of her trips downstairs when she saw Victoria coming in the front door with a few bags and looking slightly sheepish as she set them down at the door.

  "Hey," Victoria said simply. "I'm not late am I?"

  "You are right on time to get ready," Spencer said and pointed upstairs. "We have the makeup and hair artists up there. You might have to wait in line though. I'm third to last."

  "That's what you get with so many bridesmaids I guess," Victoria said lightly as she picked up her bags to take them to her room. "How is everything?"

  "Fine," Spencer said with a tired smile. "Everything is running smooth, the backyard looks great, and Rose's Mom has only freaked out once. It was when Rose's hair wouldn't hold a curl. They finally managed to fix it, and it looks beautiful."

  "Good," Victoria said, and she returned the smile, but she looked sad.

  "What's up?" Spencer asked. "Are you okay?"

  "... Paul dumped me," Victoria said simply as she put her bags down on her bed. It was a beautiful king size with an extremely expensive duvet on top that she barely used these days as she was always gone. "... He said it was getting too serious, and he finally admitted that I just wasn't the marrying type. Well, he didn't use those words, but I got the gist of it."

  "What does that mean?" Spencer asked; getting angry on her sister's behalf.

  "That I'm not rich and from a well-known family," Victoria said, and she looked as if she was trying not to cry. "I'm a professor at a small college, and I have no family. My Mom and her brother were drug addicts. The only money I have is from hawking my Grandma's jewelry she left me."

  "Guys like Paul don't marry girls like me," Victoria said simply.

  "He would be lucky to have someone like you," Spencer said angrily.

 "I feel so stupid for ever thinking he was going to marry me," Victoria said as she wiped at her tears with the back of her hand. "He explained it to me like I was delusional. He was shocked that I actually think we'd end up together.  I get it now though.The wife is a woman with a good background and family money. The wife isn't Victoria from nowhere. She's just the girlfriend you have fun with in the years before you get married. She's the one you fuck, and you then dump to get with the real wife when you finally want your kids that you'll probably ignore."

  Spencer swallowed hard. "I'm... I'm sorry."

  Victoria looked surprised as she sat down on her bed. "Really? I thought you might gloat a little considering what an asshole I've been."

  "I'm not," Spencer said gently as she sat down next to her sister. "He's an idiot for not marrying you. You would make the best wife anyone could ask for."

  Victoria smiled sadly at that and looked down at her perfectly manicured nails. "Not for him."

  "Well fuck him," Spencer said bluntly.