Chapter 16

"So are you going to do anything for your birthday?" Parker asked Henry a few days later as he helped all of them clean up the greenhouse.

  They were already starting to clear out the backyard for spring as the wedding would take place at the end of April. They hadn't picked an exact date yet. Henry was extra excited about it as Parker asked him to be her best man, and they also asked his band to play few songs at the reception. Henry said he was going to write a special song for them.

  "I don't know," Henry said as he carefully picked up shards of glass with heavy gloves on his hands. Spencer was sweeping up tiny shards nearby. She was wearing her witch hat charm necklace. He'd smiled when he saw it when he came over that morning to help. "I usually have a party at some bar, but I think I'm getting too old for it. It takes me a lot longer to get over a hangover now."

  "Aw, we have to celebrate!" Charlotte protested. "You got us such nice Christmas presents. You deserve a nice party."

  Henry had given Charlotte a great manicure set for Christmas that she was still raving about. He confessed to Spencer that his sister helped him pick it out as he wasn't sure what to buy someone Charlotte's age. He got Parker and Rose gift cards, and he got Victoria some history book that he and Victoria had been talking about lately. She said she now thought he was the sweetest kid.

  "We could just have a small dinner," Parker said; smiling mischievously. "You could come over, and we'll cook you something great, have some nice wine and just be the old folks that we're turning into."

  Henry grinned at that. "That would be really nice. I think I'd like that. Well, as long as Spencer comes as she was missing from your last shindig."

  "And she cooks better than all of us!" Rose pointed out. "We want Henry's birthday to be nice. Not another burned rice and chicken incident like Parker and my anniversary last year."

  "The chicken wasn't bad!" Parker fought. "I did a fine job, thanks you."

  "I think you should start charging for your services," Victoria said jokingly to Spencer. "Everyone wants you to cook for them now. You could be a personal chef."

  "I'd be happy to cook," Spencer said with a shrug "And celebrate your birthday. He hasn't stopped talking about the lasagna I made once so I think I'll make that."

  "I was hoping you'd say that!" Henry confessed. "I've been dreaming of that for a while now."

  "I'll help!" Charlotte piped up. "Aw, this will be nice. We can get some of your favorite movies and just have a birthday in."

  "Sounds good to me," Henry said, but his eyes were on Spencer still. "Nothing better than spending your birthday with your favorite people."

  Spencer went out with Dave the next night. Her sisters were happy for her, but they also insisted on meeting the new guy. She smirked to herself as she went to answer the door with her sisters waiting in the living room. It felt like a bad movie, but she knew they were all curious as she hadn't let them meet any of the other guys she'd dated. 

  She knew they were also curious as they'd loved the story of her meeting a sexy firefighter on New Years. Victoria said it sounded incredibly romantic, and Charlotte said he sounded gorgeous so she had to see this one. Parker mostly wanted to meet him to make Spencer uncomfortable, and Rose was slightly disappointed as she thought Spencer and Henry were connecting.

  "We're just friends!" Spencer insisted to Rose.

  Then why did Spencer feel so guilty as she greeted Dave with a kiss on the cheek, and he came inside to meet her sisters? He looked handsome in a light blue button down shirt and dark dress pants. He was wearing square, brown glasses as he admitted he'd lost a contact earlier that day. They looked good on him, she thought.