Chapter 3

A few of Parker's friends came to help the girls move into their new house, and even a few of Charlotte's friends as she wasn't ashamed of where she lived any longer, and some of Victoria's work friends came to help too. Spencer didn't have anyone. She never had any time or place to meet people. She still felt ashamed though.

  Sometimes she wondered if something was wrong with her. Where was she going to meet people though? She spent a majority of her twenties sitting in a hospital room or doing kid's laundry and dishes. Her job hunt was starting the next day so she was hoping to get herself out and about in the world for once in her life. She was more than ready to meet people that weren't her sisters.

  "Are you Spencer?" A young guy in red suspenders over a white t-shirt and jeans asked. She wondered if he knew he he stole his look from Steve Urkel. She would bet money he didn't even know the show Family Matters if she asked him.

  "Yeah, that's me," Spencer said as she unloaded another box from one of the trucks they borrowed from various friends of her sisters.

  "Henry," the guy said with a bright smile. 

  If Spencer was ten years younger she would think he was very cute with his round, tortoiseshell glasses and messy, dark hair. He was tall and skinny with broad shoulders and his sneakers were white with pink laces. Huh, she thought. She looked questioningly at him. What did he want?

  "I mean, that's my name," Henry said quickly, and he looked embarrassed for a moment. "I'm, uh, one of Parker's friends. Well, we met in class, and we've been hanging out. She said she had a sister named Spencer, and you look like a Spencer."

  "Ah," Spencer said; slightly bewildered by his fast dialogue. "I don't know what a Spencer looks like exactly, but it's nice to meet you. I remember Parker mentioning you. You're in a band right?"

  "Yep, that's me!" Henry said as he grabbed a box and started following her towards the house. "She plays violin for some of our songs. She says that one of your uncles gave you a bunch of scratch cards for your birthday, and you won enough money to buy her a used violin at the pawn shop. That's really awesome of you."

  "He wasn't our uncle," Spencer said with a chuckle at the memory. "He was one of my Mom's gross on and off boyfriends who always gave me scratch cards for my birthday. It was the only time I ever won anything. At least something good came from my Mom's shitty boyfriends, I guess."

  "My sister plays one scratch card a week," Henry said with a shake of his head. "She always says she'll split it with me if she wins, but nada. I think she won twenty bucks one time, but so what? And she didn't split it with me."

  "Horrible," Spencer said with a smirk.

  "Right?" Henry asked; shaking his head in mock horror. "So I hear you're going to apply to work at the Java Bean? I'm always there. It's a great place."

  "Yeah," Spencer said. "And a few other coffee shops. Java Bean looks like a nice, calm place to work though. I worked at Starbucks for a while so I figured a small coffee shop would be like a vacation."

  "Well, I hope you get on there," Henry said with a bright smile. "You better hope you work afternoons 'cause Parker is also going to be teaching me the violin. You won't mind me hanging out at your house right?"

  "Of course not," Spencer said with a shrug. "My sister's are allowed to have anyone over. It's their house too. It's such a huge place that I doubt I'll even notice. You won't be bothering me."

  "Maybe we could hang out too," Henry said as he followed her into the kitchen as they were carrying the small amount of kitchen supplies they had. It was mostly mismatched bowls, a few plates and silverware.