Chapter 25

There was some excitement a few days later as Rose got a call that the local news wanted to do all full-length, investigative piece on William, and they wanted Rose to write and star in it. She was over the moon and jumping around the house in excitement. It would be done in installments, and she would write pieces for their website about the case. Rose was thrilled, and the whole house was thrilled for her. 

  Except one, tall blond who came home a few hours later; fresh from her Hamptons weekend with Paul. She was wearing a gray, designer sweater that Spencer had never seen before, and her long blond hair was newly done. She was clearly getting into her role as the girlfriend of a guy with a lot of money.

  "I won't use your real name," Rose said Victoria as they sat around the table after Victoria gave her congratulations, but she was clearly not happy with the situation. She meekly asked if they were going to be included in the piece, and Rose had to admit that had been the idea.

  "That will be weird," Victoria said. "I mean, everyone will know if you use everyone else's real names."

  "You mean Paul's family will know," Parker said icily, and she looked more than ready for a fight as this was Rose's dream.

  "His family are... important people," Victoria said slowly; as if she was speaking to a child. "I'm not sure I want them to know that my mother was a drug addict who used to have us sleeping in cars. They already wonder about my family. He just introduced me to his Mom for the first time last week. I don't want to scare them away."

  "If they scare away that easy – fuck 'em," Parker said as she folded her arms across her chest. "They aren't worth your time."

  "I already lost one fiancee to this family!" Victoria shot back. "I don't want to lose another potential one. I love Paul, and he loves me, but unfortunately this kind of shallow bullshit matters to people though so excuse me."

  "Don't even start on the Jason stuff again!" Parker warned her sister. "That wasn't our fault. No one forced you to come back here."

  Victoria sighed and sat back in her chair. "Whatever. Use my name. It's perfectly fine to let the whole world know my Mom was an addict, and we slept in cars. I'm sure Paul and his family will love that."

  "Then he's an asshole," Parker said with a shrug. "He doesn't seem to want much to do with us already. None of your boyfriends ever do because you always pick these rich jerks who have their heads up their asses, but I guess it's okay because they have a penthouse in the city and a big house in the Hampton's. How was your weekend on the beach, by the way? Was it as cold as I hope it was?"

  "You are a horrible person," Victoria said as she shoved her chair back and got up. "God. I can't stand living here anymore with you!"

  "Then leave!" Parker said and threw her arms in the air. "We'd love it if you did!"

  "I'll leave and sell this house!" Victoria said as she turned back. "Part of it is mine remember?"

  "Part of it," Spencer said and stood up too; anger coursing through her. "And you're outnumbered."

  "Paul's brother is a lawyer who I'm sure could more than handle all of you," Victoria said coldly. "I put far more of my own money into this thing. I make more than all three of you combined. You all live with me - not the other way around!"

  "Stop this!" Charlotte had tears in her eyes as she stood up. "Don't fight with each other! Lawyers? What the hell Victoria? Is it really going to come to that?"

  Victoria crumpled at the sight of Charlotte's tears. "Fucking hell. I just... You have to understand what I've been through, Char. I hate living here. Parker is always full of vicious things to say about me and my boyfriend. This house is cold and damp,and I'm away from the city. There is nothing here for me. Don't you understand why I want to be with someone like Paul? It's a better life. I don't see what is so wrong with pointing out the obvious. Who would want this when they could have that? Is that such a bad thing to want something better?"