Chapter 10

Spencer went out a few times with Erica and her boyfriend with a few different guys. 

  The first one was a good looking, blond lawyer named Anthony, but she didn't have much in common with him as he talked about video games almost the whole time even though she made it clear she had no interest in them. She listened politely for a while, but his phone kept dinging which would make him snatch it out of his pocket to quickly text and then shove it back in his pocket – not missing a beat. It was slightly alarming as he was two years older than she was, but he seemed so immature. He could barely hold a conversation if they veered into anything other than his life and his interests. She was relieved when the evening was over.

  Then the second one Matt was recently divorced, and he was constantly making slightly dark jokes all night, and he was clearly not over his ex-wife as most of the jokes were about divorce and marriage. He seemed like he was going through a hard time, and Spencer actually liked sitting and talking with him over drinks. He was a smaller guy with messy dark hair and frame less glasses, and he was cute, but he wasn't as good looking as some other guys she knew. 

  They talked in depth about their lives and the things they'd both been through, but it wasn't romantic in the slightest. She might like to hang out with him sometime though. They had a similar sense of humor, and he was easy to talk to. He was much better conversationalist than Anthony, and Matt seemed sincerely interested in her life. It made her happy that she made a connection with someone who could be a friend. 

  They ended up going to a bar after Erica and her boyfriend went home, and they were laughing and talking about lighter subjects which was a relief after their mutual relationship bitching. It was more easy going after a few drinks. She wasn't nervous at all either. She felt peaceful as they sat at the bar together. He walked her home later, and it made her smile that she was the one getting in late this time. 

  "Maybe we could hang out sometime?" Matt asked as they stood in their coats; the November air whipping around them. "I mean... maybe you wouldn't mind getting a drink from time to time or getting a bite to eat?"

  "I'd like that," Spencer said sincerely.

  She slept in the next morning, and it was noon by the time she came downstairs still in her pink stripe pajamas. Henry was sitting at her kitchen table and beaming at her as she came into the kitchen. 

  Charlotte was sitting by him with a cup of coffee and looking comfortable in an over-sized sweatshirt stretched over her her knees that were pulled up to her chest. Henry was in a bright green t-shirt with some band name on the front she didn't recognize, and his hair was sticking up on all ends. He looked like he just woke up too. She raised her hand to her own messy hair, and she attempted to smooth it down.

  "Hey!" Henry said as he got up to greet her. "There is a Thanksgiving meeting in about ten minutes. Parker will be here soon, and Victoria went to go get some donuts. Do you want a cup of coffee? I made Charlotte my special caramel black that I swear is so delicious you won't want those syrupy concoctions again!"

  "It's so good!" Charlotte raved as Spencer went to the coffee herself.

  "I'm okay," Spencer said easily. "I just like some milk and sugar."

  "I try to be nice!" Henry said with exaggerated frustration which made Charlotte giggle. Spencer just gave him a look as she got the creamer out of the fridge. "What? Are you in a bad mood? And since when do you sleep in? Any time I come over early you're usually in the kitchen and cooking already."

  "Since she had a date," Charlotte said with another giggle. "You got in so late! You must have liked him."

  "A date?" Henry's eyebrows were up, and Spencer's face was warm as she sat back down at the table with her coffee. "Pray tell. What is your suitors name?"