43

I'm sitting opposite Lucian, and frankly my nerves are shot.  He's been calm and collected for the past fifteen minuets reading, turning pages and making no facial expressions whatsoever.  He's barely glanced at me.

In that time it's given me plenty opportunity to study him.  If you take away the attitude he's given me since I met him, frankly he's a man any woman would swoon over.  Long legs.  One crossed over the other, giving me ample opportunity to glance in that region.  There's a lot there let me tell you.

His legs are long and thick.  His arms are ripped, and his whole body hums with power.  Frankly I wonder if he has any body fat on him at all.  He hasn't shaved in a few days, and it gives him this lumberjack rugged look, dressed in washed out jeans, and a button down white shirt.  The way his clothes fit him leaves little for the imagination, and then at the same time - a LOT for the imagination.  And mine is going wild.   My wolf keeps flashing ranchy images, and its becoming hard and harder to maintain any sort of grace.

The loud snap of Lucian closing the book makes me practically jump out of my seat in surprise.

"Are you quite done eye humping me over there?"

Oh good lord kill me now.  How does one answer that?

"I can admire a view when it's a good one.  So - Want to discuss the book?"

"Yes and no.  It explains a lot, but some of it doesn't make sense.  Its one persons perspective, a clark keeping note of history.  I think that knowledge is lost.  I could speak to Remus, but honestly I am inclined to keep this between us for now."

"Because you have been so respectful, I am inclined to do the same.  But, I do think we should revisit this.  I would like to know if Remus has any insight into this."

Lucian is watching my like a hawk, and I squirm under his gaze.  Its so intense I feel like he is practically reaching into my soul.

"Here is where I stand, Ill be honest and up front with you. Having a mate is supposed to be a blessing.  We are not off to a great start but I am hoping with time we can work out the kinks.  I will not willingly let you go, because I know that the moon goddess matched us for good reason, and that is not for me to question."

"Okay.  So what are you saying? You want to date or something?"

He gets up and starts pacing in front of the windows.  His eye brows are furrowed, and I have an urge to smooth them down and ease his worries.  Stupid bond.

"Heres the thing.  Completing the mating bond has many benefits.  Not only does it allow us insight into each others full lives, thoughts and emotions.  But it enhances dormant powers.  We share our strength, and are more powerful together.  With an upcoming war, you can see why that would be so beneficial to our wolves, our people. - But..."

I stay quiet.  Insight into his life and emotions.  Thoughts?  Thats a lot of Lucian I don't know about that.  More intense than I thought.  And the idea of completing the bond makes me squirm in my chair.  Remaining quite, I give him the space to complete his thoughts.  He's being open with me and actually talking to me.  I don't want to frighten him off.

"I won't force you to complete the bond.  I can't bring myself to do that to you.  I know you loath me, and my behaviour has not helped.  But you - You are supposed to be my world and I can already feel the bond forming.  The need to be close, the need to protect.  If we were mated, I would be able to find you always.  But we are not, and that makes me nervous.  Especially knowing what you could mean to the vampires..."

I get up to look out the window.  I don't loath him.  Okay maybe I did a little.  But he's trying.  Shouldn't I?  

"Thank you."