14 | CLOSE

"I-I thought.. you were s-stronger.."

Reverse stuttered like a broken rag doll, his eyes shuddering at his opponent's pained expression. His mind was in-comprehensive; it was just as crazy as the person himself. Thorn wished that the albino wasn't in his former brother's body.

He was falling behind. Every counterattack had been followed by another one, never-ending. Even the brunette was utterly confused- how was the wounded villain able to handle another blow after his serious injury? It was as if he wasn't human.

The nature manipulator gripped the hands that locked around his neck, as his legs helplessly kicked in the air. He was being air-tortured. "L-Let me go..!"

"I-I said that to you." Reverse tilted his head. "Y-You didn't lis-sten."

Truthfully, Thorn had no backup plans. His friends were sitting in the capsule, waiting for him to deploy them to outer space. Even the hero had no clue of their chances of surviving- but he was never going to stop hoping. He believed that something would eventually-

"W-Why are y-you.. forget-getting me..?"

"I-I'm not..!" He was running out of air. "I-I.."

The hand around his neck tightened. Thorn wanted to scream, but no sound came out. The nails dug into his skin, making visible scratches on them. "Y-You.." The albino frowned. "U-Ungrateful b-brother.. I-I tried to help y-you.. but is this how y-you pay me?"

Pay him what? Help what? Thorn's vision was gradually blurring. He could make out nothing but the face that was looking at him, red eyes darkening by every growing second. His legs fell limp. His energy had dissipated into the air, leaving him breathless. 

Brother? He reached for the villain's hair. Solar?

The albino avoided his touch. "I-I'm going to k-kill you." Not Solar.

"I'm gonna d-die.." He whispered the last of his words. I'm sorry. 

I failed you. He felt so sleepy. There was no point in breathing. His lungs were burning, body screaming for him to continue fighting. But his hands were tired. He wanted to be done with it all. He noticed his friends from the corner of his eye-

They were all awake, shouting inaudible words at him.

"W-What are you l-looking at?"

I can't die here. He mustered every last ounce of his energy, before he swung his legs, hitting the captor's right eye. Reverse screamed, accidentally letting the brunette go. He crumbled to the ground, hand covering his eyes in great pain. "MY EYES! MY EYES!" He shrieked.

Thorn landed to the ground, gasping. Air entered him, as he slowly regained consciousness. The black spots were gradually fading. No time to spare. He stumbled up, legs wobbling from the sensation of almost dying. "H-Hold on!" He mouthed to his friends.

Reverse rolled on the ground, half his face smeared with blood. 

He put his bloody hand on the windshield as Gopal pounded on the shell, his eyes brimming with angry tears. The Indian boy was wide awake, aggressively pointing at the space behind him. Yaya and Ying were crying, sobbing as they touched the space where his hand was.

"It's okay, guys." His body shook. "I-I'm fine."

However, Gopal didn't give up, but started to hit the casement. Thorn squinted his eyes, trying to read. His eyelashes had been hardened with his own blood. The battle had been frightening, but it wasn't the worst he had fought before. R.. what? Re..?

Reverse. He was a second too late.

Thorn found himself hanging in the air, a sharp object punctured through his abdomen. Blood rose up his throat. He coughed, forcing the metallic substance out.

Reverse giggled. "I-I g-got y-you!" He laughed. "I got you!"

But his vines had pressed the launch button.