6;

The next morning, I was eating breakfast and I remembered about the attic, I had left half-cleaned. I quickly left my food and climbed up the ladder.

As I entered the small spaced white room, my eyes froze at what I saw.

The attic was perfectly clean. And there was a table set up, in the exact middle of the place, and a chair on two of the sides. My gaze moved from the set-up to the chess board I had taken out earlier.

The piece on the other side had moved.

And no one, but me, lived in the house.

All the rumours... maybe they are true...?

I slowly went closer to the game board and narrowed my eyes to a paper that was placed under the board.

I slowly took out the paper and read what it said: "Play with me."

I flinched at how wrong that sounded and flipped the paper around, to see if there was any other writing. And there was.

"The chess game, I mean."

I chuckled and sat on one of the chairs. "So if this is how you wanna play, bring it on." I said and smirked.

I waited for some time but there was no sign of anyone. "Okay... if you're not gonna come out, I'll have to do it the traditional way."

I looked around and saw no traces of a soul, so I did it. "I hereby summon the ghost, that is said to be here, to play the game of chess with me."

I heard a faint laugh, and that's when I knew it; the ghost was ready to play.

"I'm moving my next piece..." I said, and moved another piece from my side.

"Waiting..." I said and looked around, waiting for the next move to take place.

After about five minutes, I looked back and saw that the next piece had been moved.

I smirked looking at how shitty the move was. And I moved another piece of mine, killing one of the other's.

My phone got a notification and I looked at the screen to see that I had to go for work.

"We can finish the game when I'm back. Don't cheat." I said, to no one specifically, and walked out of the attic.

As I was getting down the ladder, realisation struck me like a truck.

D-did I just talk to a g-ghost?

The colour drained out of my face and I quickly ran off to my room. I held my pillow and screamed into it.