25;

It didn't take long to find everything I needed, Taehyung knew his computer well, and it was all saved to the thumb-drive within fifteen minutes.

"Let's get out of here." I said, closing the laptop once more before looking over to where Taehyung was staring blankly at a poster on the wall. "Taehyung?" I prompted, making my way over to him. I recognised the poster, it was for a band that was huge at the moment–though I couldn't quite remember the name.

"Some others and I produced the album that put them on the charts." He said, his voice detached. "Even wrote a few of the songs."

"Impressive." I said, unsure of why Taehyung sounded so sad about this fact.

"I spent so much of my time making other peoples music." Taehyung said, more to himself than to me. "Since my senior year of high school, I worked non stop. Spent all day studying, and all night writing. And what do I have to show for it?" He let out a humorless laugh. "Not a single damn thing."

"I'm sure that's not true." I said gently.

"I always thought there'd be more time. I could make my album later, spend time with my parents later. Be somebody, later."

"You certainly made an impression on your friends. They loved you a lot." That much was clear to me, and I hoped that he could see it too.

Taehyung shook his head, but didn't say anything more. The two of us stood in silence for a moment, before there was a light knock on the door and Jungkook stuck his head inside.

"Sorry, I just..."

"It's fine." I gave him a smile, grateful that I was long finished with Taehyung's laptop. If Jungkook had walked in as I was transferring files, I had no idea how I would explain it. "I was about to leave."

Jungkook nodded. "We–Me, Taehyung and Yoongi–were going to see Taehyung today. You know, tell him how life has been. Taehyung says he can hear us, I don't know... But anyway, I wanted to know if you'd like to come along?"

The offer was heartbreaking. I wished there was some way to tell Jungkook the truth, some way to explain to him who I really was and why I was there. But I couldn't, I knew that. I also knew that if I went with them, even if Yoongi didn't call the cops, I would be intruding on something that I had no business in.

"Jungkook–that's really sweet of you to offer, but I..." Taehyung looked close to tears, and then suddenly, he was gone. He disappeared through the wall, abandoning me with Jungkook. "I don't think I can today." I finished, trying not to look as startled as I felt. "I wish I could–really I do, but..."

"Don't worry about it." Jungkook gave me a quick smile. "I get it. There are days I can't be there, either. Maybe another time."

"Definitely." I agreed. Taehyung was such a pain in the ass, I had no idea how he had such kind, understanding friends.

"I should get going, then." Jungkook took a step towards the door. "But let me know if there's anything else I can do."

"Thank you–Oh, and Jungkook?" He was halfway through the door when I called his name, raising an eyebrow in question. "Could you not mention my being here to Yoongi?"

"Yeah. Absolutely. Is there a reason why?" I could see why Yoongi was so protective of Jungkook–he was sweet, trusting, and gullible. It was going to get him into trouble someday.

"Yoongi and I have a... complicated relationship, if you know what I mean?" I wasn't even sure what I meant, but I hoped Jungkook would jump to enough conclusions not to ask too many more questions.

"Not really." He shook his head. "But don't worry. As far as Yoongi knows, you were never here." He gave me one last innocent smile before he was gone, leaving me completely alone in Taehyung's office.

"You should have gone with them." I said when I returned to my apartment. Taehyung was laying across the couch watching some sappy movie. I knew the movie wasn't why his cheeks were damp, but I wasn't about to ask him if he'd been crying–he'd tell me if he wanted to talk about it.

"Why? So I wouldn't be here, bothering you?" Taehyung asked, his voice bitter.

"Because they're at your grave talking to thin air while you could actually be listening to them." I huffed, sitting down where his feet hovered. He didn't complain like he usually did, however, just moved them out of the way.

"And what good would that do?" Taehyung asked. "I can't even water a damn house plant, what good would it do them for me to be there?"

I wanted to argue, but couldn't think of anything to say. "You should get started on finishing your music." I said, putting the USB drive with all his songs on the coffee table. "Let me know if there's anything I can do to help."