Chapter 8- Looking for Clues

Mike, the Janitor and the principal walked in silence through the school halls.

"Best place to start will probably be my office," The principal finally said switching gears and heading towards his office.

"Alright, I guess we go there," Mike said. "So who do you think this person is?"

"I don't know, it could be anyone," The Janitor said, "I have a lot of people who wouldn't mind if I got knocked off."

"Oh that's comforting," Mike mumbled.

The rest of the way they walked in silence.

Who would do this? Mike thought, it would have to be someone who knew ALL of us, but who-

"Would you two hurry it up?" The principal asked, "I wanna get this over with as soon as possible."

The three men walked into the office, it was a mess. Papers scattered on the desk and chair, books where thrown from off the bookcase and all over the floor. The two guns behind a glass case where gone.

"The guns are gone," Mike said this stomach dropped.

"Ah, don't worry about that, I took them home, didn't want the knew kids asking questions," The principal stated shrugging his shoulders.

"Oh, right, got it," Mike said his nerves calming down a bit. They searched the whole room top to bottom but found nothing, no secret hatch or button.

"Ah! That was bust!" The janitor said crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, I guess do we just head back to the others?" Mike asked.

"Yeah, I guess, but before we do I want to look at one more thing," The principal said walking over to a purple rug in the corner, blood stained the carpet around it.

He carefully lifted up the rug, revealing a vault hatch, or what looked to be one. He typed something onto a small key pad and the hatch opened. (I don't remember how he opens the hatch so just go with it)

"What is that?" The janitor asked.

Mike nervously played with his fingers, he and Lily had saved Billy from his underground laboratory in Kindergarten, he knew all about this tunnel. (I also know that the principal dies in that play through, just pretend that he didn't find them and Lily was able to rescue him)

"None of your concern," The principal answered coldly, the hatch opened to reveal a ladder going deep down into a black hole.

Mike leaned over the side but couldn't see the bottom, grabbed a book off the ground and let it fall into the whole. It was a whole 8 seconds before he heard a loud thud.

"Wow that is deeper then I remember, haven't been down there in a few years," The principal said, " just make sure neither of you fall."

The principal started going down the ladder, the janitor was about to follow, but was cut short by a ping noise they all looked down and saw a few of the screws holding the ladder in place was falling out.

On the way down the screws hit almost every step on the ladder the ladder started falling, Mike flung onto his stomach and reached his hand as far as he could to grab onto the principal.

Just before the ladder snapped the principal grabbed Mikes hand. But it was to sudden of a movement, Mike wasn't expecting and his body lurched forward into the pit, luckily the janitor was there to catch his wrist.

Now the principal, the janitor and Mike were in a barrel monkey situation with Mike as the middle monkey.

"This is a really bad situation," Mike said, it felt like this arms were going to be ripped off.

"Yes, I agree," The principal said his voice echoing off the metal walls of the pit.

"Please tell me someone has a plan! Because if so please tell me!" The janitor said through grunts, holding a teenaged boy and an adult man probably isn't the easiest thing to do.

"Yes," The principal said, "Mike let me go and have the janitor pull you up."

"What!?" Mike was shocked, "no, I'm not doing that, I don't want anyone else to die, not after Cindy."

"The janitor can't save us both, either you let me go, or we all die," the principal said.

Mike looked down to meet his eyes, yeah the guy was a total jerk and wasn't qualified  to care for children but still, he had a family. Heck, his son was with the others.

"No, we can find a way out of this," Mike said, "Jerome needs you."

"Mike, there is nothing we can do in this situation," The principal said, "tell Jerome, I love him."

The principal twisted his wrist out of Mike hold and fell down the pit. Mike screamed but it was no use. He was gone.

"No!" Mike screamed, the janitor, with a lot of effort was able to pull him up. Mikes eyes teared up, Mike never cried last time he did was when he'd broken his leg back in elementary.

But he couldn't help it, he had just witnessed someone sacrifice their life to save him. It was his fault, not entirely but a good portion of it was his fault.

"Come on, we gotta get back," the janitor said, his words where sad.

"Right," Mike said, he sniffled and got off the ground whipping his nose with his sleeve.

"How are we going to tell Jerome?"

———————————————————
Whew! That one was a doozy, definitely more emotional. But I hope you enjoyed reading it ;-;

Have a good day everyone!