Chapter Twelve

It’d been almost a week since I’d last seen James. I missed him so badly. He didn’t have time to Skype and barely had time to call. But our lives still carried on. I’d dared to ask Julie for today off as I was meeting Reece. Part of me couldn’t wait to see Reece because I knew it’d remind me of last week, when I was with James. But part of me knew I shouldn’t be meeting him. James didn’t even know about it and I didn’t want to tell him after the way he reacted last week.

I grabbed my purse and dropped it into my bag along with my phone. Faye and Anna were at work today so it was just me. I could’ve invited Reece to the flat but if James found out he’d probably break up with me. I wanted to be friends with Reece. In fact, I wanted to be friends with all of the band. I locked the door before heading to the bus stop.

The bus journey to Accrington wasn’t very long and as soon as I arrived I sent Reece a text message. As I stood beside a bench covered in water, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Reece who gave me a big hug. “It’s so good to see you. How are you?” I asked him as he let go of me. “Great. You?” he replied. “I’m alright, I guess. How’s James?”

Reece sighed then smiled. “He misses you.” I gave him a saddened look. “I miss him too,” I spoke quietly. “Hey, don’t be sad about it. Just think how great it’ll be when you next see him,” Reece told me and I nodded, smiling. “You’re right. So what are we doing?” I asked. “Brunch,” he suggested and I agreed.

The two of us went to a café just up the road. I took my jacket off and put it on the back of my chair before sitting down opposite Reece. “So when do you have to go back to London?” I asked him. “Tomorrow morning,” he replied. The waitress came over and took our order before disappearing into the kitchen.

“Reece, why am I here?” I asked. He looked confused by the question. I was about to explain what I meant when my phone started ringing. If I didn’t miss James so much I’d have ignored the call thinking it’d be someone else. I took my phone out of my pocket and smiled as I saw a picture of him flashing across the screen. “Hello,” I spoke as I answered the call. “Wow. It’s good to hear your voice. Are you alright?” he asked me and I nodded before realising he couldn’t see me and replied, “Yeah.”

“So I’m at your flat. But you’re not,” he said. “Shit,” I cursed and stoop up. “Babe, what are you doing there?!” I practically shouted. He laughed. “I came to surprise you. Are you at work?” he asked. “Uh…no, I’m actually with Reece.” James didn’t say anything. “I’ll be about half an hour. Just sit tight,” I told him. He only hummed in response then hung up. Shit.

“James is at my flat so I’ve got to go. I’ll see you soon. Thanks by the way,” I told Reece as I put my jacket on. I gave Reece a hug before leaving the café and rushing back to the bus stop. When I got on the bus I sent Faye and Anna a text message explaining what was happening.

The bus journey seemed quicker than usual. I got off the bus and jogged up the street. I turned the corner to see James sat on the steps of the building where my flat was. “Babe, I’m so sorry,” I told him, trying to catch my breath. He stood up and hugged me.

I let James inside the flat and went into the kitchen. “So do you want anything to drink or eat?” I asked, not looking at him. “Jasmine,” he spoke. “I can make you some pasta or something if you haven’t eaten yet,” I continued. “Jasmine.” “It won’t take me long,” I said. “Jasmine,” James almost shouted. I turned to look at him. “Why were you with Reece?” he asked me. “I just want to be his friend because I thought that maybe that’d make you happy,” I explained. James walked towards me and took his hands in mine. “I just want you to be all mine,” he told me. I looked up at him and said, “I am all yours.”

Once I’d made two cups of tea and grabbed a jar of Nutella, James and I went to watch television in the living room. I opened the jar of Nutella and dug out a spoonful of it. James grimaced. “Really?” he asked and I nodded. “I love it.” I wiped some on his nose and he stuck his tongue out at me. “Give me a kiss,” he said leaning towards me but I moved away. “Come on,” he continued until I was in the corner of the sofa. Then he kissed me causing the Nutella on his face to spread onto my cheek. “Aw, thanks, Babe,” I spoke, moving to lean against him. He put his arm around me and I wiped the Nutella off my face.

“James?” I piped up after about ten minutes of silence. He hummed in response. “I’m proud of you. You know that, right?” I spoke and he looked down at me. “Of course I do. And I really appreciate it,” he replied and kissed my cheek.