Chapter Sixteen

It was freezing outside and I regretted not bringing a jacket. I’d been in such a hurry to get out of the house that I hadn’t even given the temperature a second thought. “It’s going to get pretty lonely without Faye and Anna here,” I told Reece. He put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him meaning that he’d noticed my shivers. “It doesn’t have to be. I mean, I’ll be around obviously and so will the other lads,” he replied and I sighed. We walked for another few minutes in silence.

“I hope this will work. But I can’t help thinking that it’s just too good to be true,” I explained, trying to stop my teeth from chattering. Reece stopped walking and turned to look at me. “This will work if you want it to work.” He wrapped his arms around me and I felt a little bit warmer in his embrace.

“Now, come on. Let’s get back to the house. James will be waiting for you,” Reece said, keeping one arm around me. Although it was a short walk it was just what I’d needed. I didn’t want to be a party-pooper but I just wanted to go to bed as soon as I got back to the house.

“My hands are freezing,” I stated as Reece and I got through the gate in front of the house. I held my hands against my chest as Reece pulled me closer to him, holding me against his warm body. Reece rested his head on top of mine as we stood just outside the front door.

The front door was opened by Barclay and James who both looked at me and Reece. “It’s cold,” I whispered, my teeth chattering. Reece let go of me and James pulled me into his warm body. “Do you want to go to bed?” he asked me, kissing my hair. “Y-yes,” I answered whilst shivering. I felt Barclay’s hand on my arm before he said, “Mate, she’s freezing. You need to get her warmed up quickly.” And with that James turned round and pulled me onto his back. He carried me upstairs and laid me down on Barclay’s bed as James’ was too high up for him to lift me.

James pulled my shoes and most of my clothing off then pulled the duvet over my shaking body and bent down beside the bed. “Please,” I whispered, trying to touch his warm skin. James stood up and took his shirt and jeans off before climbing into the bed with me. My cold fingertips rested on James’ warm chest as he wrapped his arms around my body. Barclay soon came into the bedroom with a hot water bottle. “Sorry, Mate. We’re stealing your bed for the night,” James told Barclay and chuckled which made his chest vibrate.

Barclay smirked and handed the water bottle to James who put it in between our bodies. I could still smell the alcohol on James but his concern for my welfare had overridden any irrational thinking. “I’ll tell the rest of the lads not to disturb you,” Barclay said before leaving the bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

The two of us laid in silence for a while until my shivering had lessened. “Any better?” James asked, his voice full of concern. “Getting there,” I whispered. He had tangled his legs with mine in an attempt to warm them. I closed my eyes and felt James kiss me.

“James,” I whispered when his lips had left mine. He hummed in response. “When you said you love me, did you mean it?” I asked, opening my eyes so I could look at him. James stayed quiet for a moment. “When you nearly said it to me on Tuesday, I just couldn’t stop thinking about it. And I wondered if I felt that way too,” he explained. I looked at him expectantly. “And I do,” he whispered causing a smile to spread across my lips. “I love you too.”

James kissed me again and I shut my eyes. “Night, Babe,” he whispered, pulling me a little bit closer to him. Apart from my dangerously low temperature, that moment couldn’t have been any closer to perfect. Yes, I loved James Graham. Was I in love with him? I wasn’t sure.