Chapter Twenty Nine

I swallowed hard as I looked at the two of them stood in the doorway. The girl had long blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes. Not to mention her stunning figure. The nauseating feeling I couldn’t seem to get rid of came back. It felt like someone was ripping open my chest.

“James,” Barclay spoke, “It’s about time you came back.” Barclay approached the doorway and hugged James meaning his arm was taken away from the girl. Jake’s hand was now holding mine which meant he knew exactly what I was thinking and had seen the look of panic on my face.

James hugged all the lads apart from Reece and Jake. He gave Reece an acknowledging nod then turned to look at Jake. He smiled but Jake did not return it. “Oh,” James spoke, “How rude of me. This is Kate,” he introduced, gesturing to the stunning blonde who was still stood in the doorway. She walked over to James and gave Jake an awkward wave.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Jake asked angrily. James’ smile didn’t vanish as his eyes finally landed on me. “Starving yourself?” he questioned, “How stupid.” The usual caring and loving tone he had when he spoke to me was replaced by a disgusted one. Tears were once again threatening to fall. “You left me,” I whispered.

Chris cleared his throat and piped up, “We’ll give you two a minute,” before ushering everyone out of the room, including James’ blonde friend. Or girlfriend. I had no idea who she was. Chris closed the door of the room, leaving me alone with James.

“Who is she?” I asked, breaking the awkward silence that had settled between us. “It’s none of your business,” James snapped. I laughed a humourless laugh. “Really? I’m your girlfriend.” James glared at me. “What does it matter?” he questioned. “Because you disappeared for days and then you find out I’m in hospital and turn up with some blonde girl,” I told him, becoming angry.

“You should trust me. I still trust you,” James spat. “Tell me then. Who is she?” I questioned. He shook his head in disappointment before saying, “I’m sorry, does it hurt seeing the person you love with someone else? Can’t imagine how that feels.” And then it clicked. I had no right to be angry at him. I had kissed Reece more than once while I was in a happy relationship with James.

“Not a day goes by when I don’t regret doing what I did, James. I love you and you know that. You’re my whole world and I messed up. I’ll never forgive myself for that,” I told him. He stayed silent for a moment, studying the bunch of flowers Casey had bought me. “She’s my cousin. She came to help me move my stuff into the house,” he finally said. Relief washed over me.

I held out my hand and James glanced at it then up at my face. “Please,” I whispered. He stepped towards me, taking my hand in his. His touch made me feel so safe and secure. It reminded me that he was all I needed. James let go of my hand and pulled me into a hug. “Never leave me again,” I begged. “Never,” he replied, kissing my cheek as he pulled away.

Ten minutes later, Casey, Tom and Chris filed back into the room. “Glad to see you two have sorted stuff out,” Tom told us. I smiled and so did James.

I was discharged from the hospital not long after James had arrived and we rang a taxi to take us home. James gave me a piggy back into the house and sat me on the sofa. “I’m really liking this new place,” he told me. “Me too,” I replied as he sat down beside me. Barclay had taken James’ cousin to the train station just before we got back.

“Are you warm enough?” James asked me and I nodded but he pulled a blanket over us both anyway. Jake brought me a cup of tea and a hot water bottle before sitting down on the other sofa. Casey put the film on and the eight of us started watching it.

Barclay soon returned and was horrified that we’d started the film without him. “You can’t start a movie night without the best member of the band,” he whined. James scoffed. “I am the best member,” he shot back. Barclay shook his head. “Ask Jasmine, she’ll tell you who the best member is,” James said looking at me and grinning. I smirked and looked around the room at all the lads. “Of course it’s you,” I told James and kissed him. Oh, how I’d missed his kisses.

I fell asleep half way through the second film and didn’t wake up until I felt myself being lifted. I smiled up at James as he carried me up the stairs. “What time is it?” I asked. “I don’t know. Late,” he answered as he kicked open the bedroom door with his foot. He laid me down on the bed and tucked me in before undressing and getting into the bed.

I cuddled up to him and he kissed my forehead. “I love you,” I whispered. “I love you too,” he replied, pulling me closer to him. And I felt like there was nothing to worry about, that everything was alright.

A/N: Epilogue coming up next! But do not panic, I'm writing a sequel. Thank you for all your reads, comments & votes. You're fab!