Chapter Twenty Four

The wait for James to return had been awful. But when he finally did come back, he took me into my bedroom and shut the door. “You messed up. But so did I,” he told me. I shook my head and said, “James, I don’t know if I can do this anymore.” Worry flashed across his features as he heard my words. “What do you mean?” he asked, trying to keep a straight face. “I messed up, like you said. And I don’t want to be the reason you and Reece fall out,” I explained.

James took my hands in his and I looked down. “I love you too much to let you walk away,” he told me. I could feel the tears in my eyes threatening to fall. “I’m scared, James,” I whispered, allowing the tears to fall. He let go of my hands and pulled me into him. I silently cried as he held me against him. “Don’t be afraid, Baby. I’ll always be here and I will never ever leave.” His words only made me cry even more. “I’m sorry I let you down,” I told him before letting out a sob I had been holding back. James let go of me and kissed my forehead. “You could never let me down,” he said.

Once I’d sorted myself out, James and I headed round to my parents’ house. My mum was way too inquisitive about my relationship with James but that was to be expected as this was the first time she’d actually met him. We didn’t stay long as I wanted to avoid the older generation who would be arriving soon.

Anna was hard at work, cooking Christmas dinner when we got back to the flat. And Faye was busy washing up the many dishes created by Anna. “Hey,” Faye said, drying her hands on a dish towel. “You two need to kiss under the mistletoe,” she told us, grabbing her camera. I laughed before taking James’ hand and standing under the mistletoe with him. I smiled before kissing him and hearing Faye take a picture. James and I both handed her our phones so she could take pictures and we kissed again.

James and I both uploaded the pictures onto Twitter and Instagram before setting the table. I lit the candles and laid out the Christmas crackers before Anna served the food. “Are you happy?” I whispered when Faye and Anna weren’t listening. He smiled and nodded.

I fell asleep later on that night, my head resting on James’ chest and our fingers entwined. I dreamt of travelling the world with James, living our dreams together. It was perfect but I still felt guilty. James knew that Reece had given me the hickey on my neck. But he’d told me that he wanted me to stay.

When I woke up, James wasn’t laid beside me. I’d expected to find him in the living room or the kitchen but he was nowhere to be found. His stuff had gone. He’d left. I grabbed my phone, unlocking it as fast as I could. I had a text messages from him.

I didn’t want to ruin Christmas so I waited until today to leave. I need some time to think things through. The moving plans will go ahead but you or the boys won’t see me until next week. I’m sorry I left without saying goodbye. I do love you, Jasmine.

I was frustrated with the tears that were falling down my cheeks. I didn’t want to cry but James seemed to bring me to tears a lot. That was a good thing though. That meant I cared.

I’d rung Barclay after reading the text message and cried down the phone to him. “He left,” I’d sobbed. Barclay had tried to comfort me and told me that James would come back. He just needed some time and space.

Later on that day, I’d packed up all my stuff and waited for Reece to arrive. James had left me, knowing that Reece was one of the only people I could run to. Reece and I were moving our stuff down to the house together as we lived so close.

Faye let Reece into the flat when he arrived and I practically fell into his arms. “He’s gone,” I whispered, feeling the sickeningly empty hole in my chest shrink in size with Reece’s embrace. “I’m sorry,” he told me but I shook my head. “Don’t apologise.”

The two of us moved all my stuff into the van outside before I took the keys from the man who’d brought it here and got in the driver’s seat. Reece sat in the passenger seat and fastened his seatbelt, giving me a reassuring smile. I waved to Faye and Anna just as I pulled away from the house. I wasn’t an overly confident driver but this was cheaper and easier than several journeys on the train.