Chapter Twenty Three

I got to the train station in Accrington at 4am on Christmas morning and as soon as I saw Reece I burst into tears. He held me tightly as I sobbed. I had no idea why I was crying. It could’ve been because I’d argued with James or it could’ve been because I’d missed Reece. But the distance, the fame…it was getting to me.

Reece took me back to his house. I was knackered after the long night I’d had. “Thank you,” I whispered to Reece. He took my hand, entwining our fingers and leaned towards me. I didn’t have the energy to pull away when he kissed me and right now, I was so angry at James and so tired that I didn’t even care for the consequences. Reece lifted the hair off the left side of my neck and kissed the tender skin. I closed my eyes as I felt sleep tugging at me. Eventually, I fell asleep on Reece’s bed, my head on his lap and him leant against the wall.

When I woke up, I took my phone out of my pocket, expecting some missed calls and text messages from James. But there was nothing. “Are you going to tell me what happened then?” Reece asked, stretching out his arms. I felt awful for just walking out on James. “Not until you tell me why you needed me here so urgently,” I replied.

“I have a surprise for you,” he told me, standing up and holding his hand out. I took it and he led me out of the room and downstairs. I put my coat and boots on before we went outside. He held onto my hand tightly as we walked away from his house.

After ten minutes of walking, Reece turned into a shop, pulling me with him. He smiled at the woman behind the counter who went into the back of the shop at the sight of him. I raised my eyebrows at him but he just smiled as the woman returned. She was holding a black kitten with a blue bow attached to its collar. Reece took the kitten from the woman and smiled at me. “He’s all yours. Merry Christmas, Jasmine,” Reece told me. I was so surprised at his gesture. “Reece, he’s adorable,” I said, taking the kitten from his hold. “Thank you.” I kissed Reece’s cheek before looking at the adorable kitten in my arms.

The woman gave us a basket and a blanket for the kitten before we left the shop. “She kept the shop open for us,” Reece told me. “That’s sweet.” The two of us went back to Reece’s house so I could get my suitcase as I needed to get to Faye and Anna’s flat. As I sorted my stuff out in Reece’s room, he took my hand and spun me around to face him. “You’re incredible,” he told me, making me smile. “So are you.”

Reece took me to the train station so he could see me off. “I hope you have a great Christmas,” I told him. “You too,” he replied and kissed my cheek. I got on the train and waved to Reece when it set off. I felt exhausted and ridiculously guilty.

When I arrived at the train station near the flat, I walked the short distance from the train station with the basket my kitten occupied in one hand and my suitcase in another. As soon as I got into the flat and put my stuff down, Anna wrapped her arms around me. “He’s already here,” she whispered before letting go of me.

I bent down and took my kitten out of the basket before heading into the living room. James was sat on the sofa and he didn’t even look at me as I sat down beside him. I placed my hand on his arm and kissed his cheek. “Merry Christmas,” I whispered. James remained still for a minute before finally looking at me. “I love you,” he said and I closed my eyes as he kissed my forehead. He looked down at the black kitten on my lap before asking, “Where’d you get the kitten from?”

“Reece,” I almost whispered. I felt the muscles in his arm tense. “That was nice of him,” he said although it sounded forced. Faye and Anna were in the kitchen so I could speak to James alone. “Can we go for a walk?” I asked him. He nodded and I stood up then went into the kitchen. Faye saw me and then the kitten and her eyes flew wide. “Oh my God!” she squealed, rushing over to me. “Who got you a kitten?!” she practically shouted. “Reece,” I replied, handing him over to her.

“I’ll be back soon then we can have a long ass catch up before I go to my parents’ house,” I told Faye and Anna who gave me acknowledging nods. I returned to the hall to find James stood by the front door. “Ready to go?” I asked and he nodded, handing me my coat.

I followed James out of the house, slipping my hand into his. “I messed up Christmas and I’m sorry, I really am. You know how much I love this day,” I told him. James stopped walking when we reached the bottom of the street and said, “You didn’t mess up Christmas. I’m here with you and that’s all I want.” I blushed at his comment and looked down. He lifted my chin up and kissed me.

“Where did you get this from?” James asked as he pulled away. “What?” I questioned. His finger poked a sore patch of skin on my neck and I winced. There was a hickey there. And I had no idea that Reece had given it to me. “I didn’t give this to you,” James said.

I took his hands in mine. I didn’t know how to reply to him. I just looked up at him pleadingly. But he looked betrayed. “I’m sorry,” I choked as he pulled his hands out of mine. “I need some time on my own,” was all he said before he walked away.