2 - It's A Long, Hard Life

Joe's pov

Beep, beep, beep

My alarm clock screamed at me to get up. I groaned and hit the off button. I really don't want to go to school today. Actually, I don't want to go to school any day, but I have to. 

It was 6:45 AM and school starts at 7:20 AM, so I better get my ass moving. 

I got out of bed and noticed a blood stain on my bed and in between my legs. Are you fucking kidding me? It's the beginning of the month, and normally my period comes in the middle of the month, so I'm pissed. I went to the bathroom, cleaned myself up, and went to my closet to get new sheets. I put the bloody ones in the laundry and went back to my room. 

I got new clothes to change into and I put a tampon in. I did my hair and brushed my teeth. I went downstairs to get myself some breakfast, that's when I saw my mom, and my two siblings. My mom was making us pancakes like normal. 

"Hey, sweetie. Good morning," she said to me as I sat down at the table and she gave me the plate of food. She is so nice to me. 

"So, what's going on with you lately?" 

That specific sentence gave me memories of the time I came out to her.

FLASHBACK TO 5 YEARS AGO (When he was 12)

I sat down on my bed with my laptop on my lap. I was looking at trans FTM YouTube videos and I was really fascinated by them, so I watched them. I still had long hair and people still called me by my birth name. I did tell two of my best friends, Rami and Gwilym, that I think I'm trans. They fully accepted me and I was super happy about that. But the people who are next are my parents and I wasn't too thrilled about it. I wanted my hair short, I wanted to have a manly name instead of Josey, I wanted to look like a guy . . . I wanted to be a guy. 

"Josey, dinners ready!" My mom yelled from the kitchen.

I got out of bed, set the laptop down, and went out to the living room. I saw my mom, my dad, and my sister and brother, Mary and John. I sat at the table ready to eat. My mom gave me my plate and everyone else got theirs and we all sat at the table. 

In the middle of the meal, I knew that I needed to tell my family now. Now was the best time. My whole family, right in front of me. I knew it was now or never. 

"Hey mom, dad, can I get my haircut soon?" 

My mom then replied, "Yeah honey, but why?" 

"I want to look like a guy." 

Everyone then stopped eating at stared at me with confusion. "Sweetheart, are you a lesbian?" My mom asked me. Actually, I'm straight. I might wanna be a guy but I've always liked boys. 

"No . . . I-I'm transgender," I finally admitted to them. I was tired of them asking what's been going on with me lately and me not being able to tell them because I was too scared. 

"Oh, that explains you being a tomboy," Mary told me . . . Hey, at least they accept me.

FLASHBACK OVER

"Joe! Joe! Joe!" My mom was shaking me to snap me out of my thoughts. I turned to her to show that I'm paying attention. 

"I asked you a question. What's been going on with you lately? You've been a little mean recently." 

The only reason she asked me this is because, with my period, I've been very moody lately. "It's just . . . y'know, it's that time of the month." I really don't like saying that I have a period to anyone because I hate having to tell them that I have something that a girl has.