6 - Life Goes On . . . Without You

This chapter is a sad one. 😞

I waited in the living room for my mom and dad so I can tell them the news. Maybe they would want a grandbaby. I mean, probably not when I'm the age I am right now but they're still getting a grandbaby. It was 10:53 AM and they normally come home at 11:00 AM. They're both nurses, by the way. 

I was watching a movie when I heard the house phone ring. I went to it and picked it up. "Hello?" I asked the person on the other line. "Joe! Joe! Is this you!" It was my mom, she sounded really panicked. "Yeah, mom. What's wrong?" 

"Come to the hospital with John and Mary, your dad and I were in an accident." 

I dropped the phone and processed what she just said. 

Please God, don't let them die. I just found out I'm pregnant! They need to know they're getting a grandchild before anything happens to them. I picked the phone back up and told her that I'll be at the hospital with John and Mary soon. I put the phone back and ran up the stairs to get John and Mary. "Guys, mom and dad were in a car crash! We need to go to the hospital!" 

They immediately ran down the stairs and ran out the door. We all got into the car and sped away.

I was the one driving and John and Mary were panicking as if our parents are going to be dead once we get to the hospital, which is probably going to happen. I really hope it doesn't, they mean the world to me and I want to tell them that I'm pregnant. 

We got to the hospital and we all got out of the car once I found a parking spot. We went into the hospital and asked the woman at the front where Virginia and Joseph Mazzello was. She told us they're in room 32 so we went there. We got to the room and I saw my mom and dad in two different hospital beds, my mom was awake and my dad was sleeping. They had a lot of bruises on their bodies, I gasped at that. 

"Hey, mom, are you okay?" I asked her after John, Mary, and I came into the room.

"Yeah, I'm okay. How have you guys been?"

Mary was the one to answer that question. "We have been good. John and I went to our friends houses while you guys were at work." My mom smiled at that. 

"That's great. Joe what about you, what did you do when we were gone?" 

Oh, nothing. I just had sex with my boyfriend, nothing much. 

"Actually, I have some news to tell you." 

"What is it, honey?" I took a deep breath before telling her this. "I'm preg-"

Beep, beep . . . beeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppp

I was cut off by my dad's heart rate monitor making a long beep. 

No, no, no! This can't be happening right now!

Then nurses came into the room and one nurse asked John, Mary, and I to leave. We sat outside in the hallway next to their room. I started to cry. I didn't know what would happen to him. Will I lose my dad? Will my baby not have a grandpa? I was so close to telling her that I'm pregnant, now I have to worry if my dad is going to live or not.

We sat outside their room for a while until the door opened. I turned my head to see who it was and it was my mom. She was in normal clothes now instead of a hospital gown, and she was walking perfectly fine. She said that we can go home and that they're going to be working on dad overnight. We then left the hospital and got back to the car. This time she was driving.

During the car ride, she told us about how the car crash came to be. She then asked me, "Hey, Joe, were you saying something to me right before your dad's heart rate machine went off?" 

This is the time to tell her. "Yeah." 

"What was it?" 

I took a deep breath in and let it out before telling her. 

"I'm pregnant," I told her in a sort of a whisper because of nervousness. She actually took it a lot better than I expected. "Are you really?" She asked me . . . happily. I then remembered I had the pregnancy test in my pocket the entire time, so I took it out and showed it to her. She then started to tear up once she saw it. "Mom, why are you crying?" I asked her. 

"I'm just really happy that I'm getting a grandkid." I smiled once she said that. "Are you sure you are ready for a baby? A baby is a lot, you know." 

"I know, but I think I'm ready for one." 

This is when Mary interrupted us. "So, he's not going to be grounded!?" she asked in disbelief. My mom was the one to answer that. "Oh, hush." 

My mom then asked me, "So, who is the dad?" 

"My boyfriend, Ben." 

"You never told me that you had a boyfriend." 

"That's because we've only been together for a week or so," I told her as we pulled into the driveway. We all got out of the car and we went to the front door and we opened it. As soon as we got in the house, John and Mary went up to their rooms as it was 9:56 PM. I was about to do the same thing until I was interrupted by my mom. 

"Hey, Joe." I turned my head to show her that she has my attention. "I'm really happy for you. truly, I am." I smiled at her. "Thank you, mom . . . Do you think dad will make it?"I asked her worriedly. "He'll make it. You don't have to worry. I love you." 

"I love you too, mom. Goodnight." 

"Goodnight, honey."

4:00 AM

Everyone else was asleep while I was wide awake. I was way too stressed to go to bed. My dad could be dead for all I know. I know my mom said that he'll make it and that I don't have to worry, but what if he doesn't. My dad is strong, there's no doubting that. But I'm just really worried about this in particular. I was up all night texting Ben about what happened with my parents. 

Then, I heard the house phone ring from downstairs. I went downstairs to see who the hell was calling at 4:00 in the morning. Once I was down the stairs I went into the living room and picked up the phone. 

"Hello?" I said to the person on the other line. "Hello, is this Virginia Mazzello?" Do I sound like a 'Virginia Mazzello' to you!? 

"No, this is her son, Joe Mazzello." 

"Well, I'm one of the nurses from the hospital he is staying at . . . I'm so sorry. Your father didn't make it."