26 - For You To Be Here

We both put on our clothes and rushed to the car. We went in and started driving to the hospital. I was breathing heavily and holding my bump as the contractions came and went. Ben held my hand in his as he drove me there.
"Are you ready to be a dad?" I asked him and he let out a breath.
"Yeah, actually," he said with a smile. He did sound a little nervous but he also sounded excited.

We made it to the hospital and I felt like a was about to pop. I need to have this baby, fast. Ben and I went in and told the woman at the front desk that I was in labour. There was a nurse that came behind me with a wheelchair and she made me sit in it. She started wheeling me into one of the rooms and Ben followed. 

They took me to a room and I was helped into a hospital gown. They helped me lay down on the hospital bed and that's when Ben came into the room. 

"Hey, Joey," he said to me and I said hi back. He went up to me and stood next to the bed.
"I called our parents. They said that they're coming soon," Ben told me and I nodded. That's when a doctor went to the foot of the bed.
"Okay, Joe. I'm going to need you to spread your legs just so I can see if you've dilated at all or not yet," she said and I spread my legs so now I was exposed.
"You're already three centimeters," she said to me. It was weird because I didn't feel like I was three centimeters.

They gave me IV's and gave me fluids. They also gave me chipped ice and some water so I wouldn't be in as much pain. The contractions were now at least ten minutes apart and they lasted for about a minute. They were very painful. I could even feel Emma getting in the right position to come out and it was one of the most painful things I've ever felt.
"Are you okay?" Ben asked me as I buried my head in my hand as another contraction came. I couldn't even talk to him and tell him that I wasn't okay. All I could do was shake my head to say no. That's when a nurse came over to me.

"Would you like an epidural?" She asked me. I nodded happily and she told me to turn on my side. At this point, the contraction went away but I was still in pain. She told me that I was going to feel a little pinch in my back and that's when I felt the needle go in my back. My eyes scrunched as it hurt but I was happy that I was going to be in less pain.

Soon after that, I couldn't feel anything from the waist down. I continued sipping on my water and chewing the ice when my mom, John, and Mary came into the room. 
"Hi, honey," my mom said to me as she came up to the bed. I said hi back with a smile.
"How are you feeling?" She asked me.
"Not good. Emma really wants out," I said to her as I groaned in pain. She nodded and curressed me head. She told me that everything was going to be okay once Emma will be here. I smiled at the thought of holding Emma once she is welcomed into the world. 

My contractions were now two minutes apart and they still lasted about a minute. They were still very painful but the medication they were giving me was helping a lot. A nurse went back in between my legs to see how dilated I was now.
"You're almost nine centimeters." Ben's eyes widened once he heard that.
"Aw, Benny. Are you nervous?" I asked him with a laugh.
"N-No, I'm fine. Actually, I'm more than fine. I'm completely ready to be a father," he told me but he didn't sound serious. He sounded more nervous than serious.

"Ben, it's okay if you're nervous. I'm nervous too," I said to him to try to calm him down.
"Okay, I'm just scared. What if Emma hates me?" He asked me with worry.
"Ben, Emma is not going to hate you. She is going to love you so much." He smiled a little.
"Thanks, Joey."

-

I was soon ten centimeters and I was about to get ready to push. I was really nervous so I took deep breaths. That's when one of the nurses sat at the foot of the bed. Now she was in between my spread legs.

"Okay, on your next contraction I want you to push," the nurse told me as she put her rubber gloves on. I nodded as I waited for the next contraction.