5 - You Don't Know What It Means To Me

I looked at the test with pure horror. I was pregnant! How though? Ben used a condom. Did it break or something? I didn't know what to do in that situation. I broke down and cried my eyes out. What am I going to do? I'm only 17! I can't have a baby! 

How am I going to tell my family, friends, or worse, how am I going to tell Ben?

I decided that the first person I should tell was Rami. I walked out of the bathroom and got my phone to text Rami. 

'Please come over, there is an emergency.' 

He replied with, 'Oh my god, are you okay?'. I had to tell him honestly and I said, 'No, not really'. 

He told me that he'll come over as fast as possible. I was still crying. In the time that I waited for Rami, I thought about the outcome of this baby. Will I have to give it up for adoption? Will I have to get an abortion? Will I not afford it? 

I mean, when I was younger I would always fantasize about being a mommy, but now I can't be a mommy. I would always put a ball or a balloon or something round under my shirt to make it look like i was pregnant. But that was when I was little and still a girl, now I'm older and a man. Can you imagine a man being pregnant? That would be so weird. Can you imagine the amount of stares I would get whenever I would go out in public and people seeing my bump. What about the people at schoo- 

Knock, knock, knock. Rami's here. That was fast.

I went to the door and wiped my eyes with my shirt to make it look like I wasn't crying. I answered the door and Rami immediately pulled me into a hug. "joe! You told me that there was an emergency, are you okay?" 

No! No, I'm not

"No, actually." 

"What is it?" He asked me. I told him to sit on the couch with me and he did so. "Joe? What is it?" 

I had to keep myself from crying again. I didn't even answer his question in words, I just took the pregnancy test out of the pocket of my hoodie and gave it to him. He took a good look at it and his mouth dropped. 

"Oh my god . . . How?" 

"It just happened. Two days ago was when it was conceived. This morning I threw up and I thought that I could be pregnant. So, I took one of my sister's pregnancy tests and my instinct was correct." I told him, cheerlessly.

He then looked at me with confusion. "Wait, it was two days ago. Who did you do it with?" shit! 

"Um . . . promise me you won't get mad when I tell you this," I told him and he nodded. I sighed before answering. 

"Ben."

His jaw went slack. "Ben! The baby's father is Ben? Come on joe, you know Ben. He's probably going to make you get an abortion." He told me and I started crying at that comment. "Oh no Joe, I didn't mean to make you cry," he said as he hugged me. 

"Hey, joe?" 

"Yeah." 

"If you do keep the baby, can I be its uncle?" 

I laugh at that a little. "Yeah, of course," I told him. He threw his hands up in the air out of excitement. "YAY!"

After a while of talking about the baby, Rami convinced me that I should tell Ben right away. He left after he told me to invite Ben over. Once Rami left, I texted Ben to tell him to come over. He said that he was confused because I told him not to come over this morning because I was sick. I told him that it important so he told me that he'll come over as fast as possible. 

I waited 15 minutes for him to come over and in the meantime, I looked longingly at the test. Once I heard the knocks on the door, I got up and opened it. "Are you okay, Joe?" Ben asked as I let him in. I shook my head to say no. He looked at me, worriedly. 

"Ben, there is something that I have to tell you," I told him and led him to the couch so he would be at least a little calm for what I'm going to tell him. 

"What is it?" He asked me. 

Here goes nothing. 

"I'm pregnant." His eyes went wide at that. "You're what?" Oh no. "I'm pregnant. I don't know how, I'm guessing your condom broke while we were having sex. It's okay if you don't want to keep it. I can get an abortion if you want me to." 

"No! Absolutely not! I want to keep it. I don't care what it'll take me, I want to keep it." 

Did I hear that correctly? Ben will do anything for this baby? Wow, I guess I thought wrong. "Really? You want to keep it?" I asked him, growing a smile.

"Yeah, of course. It's my baby. I know that we're both going to be young parents but I think we can make it work . . . I want to keep it." He put both of his hands on my belly. I'm so thankful that Ben was this supportive. Now I have to tell my family. This is probably going to be really bad.

2 HOURS LATER

Ben left about an hour ago, and I'm not going to tell you what we did in the meantime . . . but all I'm going to say is, if I wasn't pregnant before, I'm definitely now. 

I heard the door open behind me and I looked behind me to see who it was. It was Mary and John. "Hey, Joe," they both said to me. "Hey, guys," I said back to them. Then, Mary asked me, "Anything new with you?" 

Well . . . there are a few new things. "Um, well, I finished my history project, I'm pregnant, I got an A in my math class, I didn't get bullied on Thurs-" I said all of those things a little fast as a way for them to not notice the fact that I said, 'i'm pregnant'. But that didn't work because they both said, "Wait . . . say that again." 

"I didn't get bullied on Thursday." 

"No, the second one." 

"Oh, I'm pregnant." They both screamed at that. "WHAT! Please tell me that you're joking," Mary asked me. 

"I'm not." I told them, casually. 

"Do you understand how mad mom and dad will be?" 

"Yes, yes I do," I told them in a sort of sad way. They both laughed out loud. "What?" I asked them. "Nothing, it's just that you're going to be in HUGE trouble." Then they went to their rooms. 

They were right, but I don't care how mad they'll be at me, I'm keeping this baby.

Hello, my friends!!! So I just wanted to address the last chapter, it was a bit of a doozy. There was so much that happened and I didn't even give you guys a warning that there was going to a lot of shit happening in it. Sorry about that. Anyway, thank you so much for reading and I love you to the moon and back. Bye!!!!