5 • B A C K I N K A N S A S

“Let the light guide your way. Hold every memory as you go. And every road you take will always lead you home”

- See You Again by : [Charlie Puth]

♪♪♪

Chapter 5
BACK IN KANSAS

PREVIOUSLY

I take the cake put of the oven and place it on the counter top. Now all we had to do it wait for it to cool down and then we would be able to decorate it.

Jessi then takes off quickly running outside the house and begins barking. I take the oven gloves off to make my way to the lawn to see what the commotion is all about.

sss

I walk outside and hear Martha yell out, "Go get him." as Jessi takes off running towards a figure in the distance.

Martha smiles as she looks off at the figure. Immediately I know who the person is...it was Clark. Martha looks at me and smiles even bigger.

"He's home." She says sweetly.

"And hopefully for a while." I say and she nods and looks back to her son.

Martha takes off her sun hat and yells out to her son, "Well look at you!".

I stay on the patio and watch as mother and son reunite. Is was so sweet. The first thing Clark does is hug her. They hug and Martha gestures me to come over.

I gladly do as she says and go up to Clark and hug him. I feel him tense up. The look on his face makes is clear that he didn't know who I was. I wouldn't either if I was 8 years younger, I've changed so much from my figure to the physical features.

"Hey Clarkie." I whisper into his ear and smile and I pull back. He looks at me in disbelief.

When we were kids I gave him a nickname, it annoyed him whenever I said it - and I knew it did. But I barely called him that, it was always by his full name.

"Lara?" He asks and I nod.

"A reporter came around here." Martha informs her son.

"She's a friend don't worry." Clark says and I nod. I began to wonder how Lois and Clark knew one another.

"I'm gonna go finish up in the kitchen." I say and run inside.

I iced the cake in white icing and then began making dinner. Maybe something Martha and Clark has never had that I was good at making. I began thinking back the the dishes I made when I worked part-time at a restaurant in Metropolis (when I first got the job as a journalist in Metropolis, it was an internship. So I got a part-time job to help out with my rent. But once I got a full-time offer at Daily Planet, I just had to drop that part-time job).

Then it came to mind, Beef Stroganoff.

I put my noodles in some water over the stove and set it on a high heat. I then began with a sour cream sauce and cut some beef into strips.

"Hey, so what are you up to?" Clark says walking into the kitchen.

"Making dinner." I simply say as I continue to cut the beef.